PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Which computers accept linux?

bjngchn
January 30th, 2014, 09:26 PM
It looks like it is extremely problematic to install kubuntu on a new computer. Because Bios is replaced by UEFI or any other artificially created problem by manufacturers of these machines. So we need a guide for each type of laptop.. Which steps should be followed for installing kubuntu, if this is possible. Sometimes if you try to install kubuntu, computer dies permanently for no reason. So pay $1000 to buy a new computer, if it dies because of failed kubuntu installing attempt buy another for $1000,.. until it works. Of course this is extremely unreasonable thing, but why does noone complain about lack of such guide. I suspect there is no money in installing kubuntu; noone does this for money. But there are many people who offer free help. Instead of answering each installing problem, there must be one guide which works for everyone. And once there is a problem, it is almost impossible to fix. We should at least know which laptops don't accept linux.

bjngchn
January 30th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Let me start answering by a guess: Sony ok, asus problematic, samsung no-no.

RadicaX
January 30th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I believe Ubuntu handles UEFI better than most other Linux, And that is because Canoncial paid money to Microsoft if I remember correctly. But basically you will have to look up the model to make sure. UEFI is a bit of a pain, but nothing that can not be worked around. *Any GoogleChrome book (LOLs aside), You might look at the store you plan on going to, their website, and then looking up the model and seeing if anyone has done it with said model.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI But unless someone has the means to try them all out, or a team of people start listing which ones work that they try, it is not all that possible to tell. I think I once heard if it has UEFI and is ARM architecture, it is a pain, and might not be possible right now, but that could be heresy.

QIII
January 30th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Hello!

Ubuntu is an OS, so Ubuntu didn't pay anything. The key to sign binaries for Secure Boot is sold by Verisign, not Microsoft, for $99 for an unlimited number of copies.

Canonical, which produces Ubuntu, didn't pay anything to Microsoft. At this point I'm not sure if Canonical paid the one-time $99 to Verisign or pressed on with its own key.

In any case, what might have been a boon to Microsoft in tighter control of the market didn't work out.

ajgreeny
January 30th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Don't forget that you can gat a machine without Windows and then it is extremely easy to install Ubuntu or any other of the *buntus without any problem using UEFI.
Dual booting a few machines that have somehow locked their UEFI to stop any other OS being installed seems to be the problem with a few specific machines, and I'm not talking here about "secure boot" but something a bit more difficult to deal with. I also understand that this is also a problem that is being dealt with by manufacturers in order to stop it occurring in future, though I accept that it is not a problem I had, my machine was built for me without windows and installation of 64 bit Xubuntu 12.04 was a breeze.

Mark Phelps
January 31st, 2014, 01:40 AM
there must be one guide which works for everyone.

Totally unrealistic!!

Every machine is different because every machine has a different combination of hardware -- and in the case of laptops, and PCs that come preinstalled with Win8, much of this hardware has been customized for the OEM selling the machine.

It's not unusual to have one set of problems on an HP DV6, and a different set of problems on an HP DV7. Same is true of different Sony models, Acer models, and Toshiba models.

Those PCs come with drivers already written for them for Windows; they do not come with such drivers for Linux. That relies on community efforts -- which are provided mostly by volunteers. In contrast, OEM and hardware manufacturers PAY folks to develop drivers for Windows. So, every time new hardware comes out, it will take some time for Linux drivers to be developed and refined.

And, since OEMs and hardware manufacturers are constantly revising their machines (and providing driver updates to match the revisions), it could easily be that the model of a machine that worked fine with Linux six months ago does not work today -- due to hardware revisions.

So, sorry, there is never going to be a universal detailed step-by-step guide that works on every machine -- just not possible.

RadicaX
January 31st, 2014, 03:03 AM
Hello!

Ubuntu is an OS, so Ubuntu didn't pay anything. The key to sign binaries for Secure Boot is sold by Verisign, not Microsoft, for $99 for an unlimited number of copies.

Canonical, which produces Ubuntu, didn't pay anything to Microsoft. At this point I'm not sure if Canonical paid the one-time $99 to Verisign or pressed on with its own key.

In any case, what might have been a boon to Microsoft in tighter control of the market didn't work out.

Thank you for the corrections.

Mark got it right, just to many things changing all the time for one universal guide, there is not just one standard is the issue.

mastablasta
January 31st, 2014, 11:06 AM
we just bought a computer preinstalled with SUSE. replaced it with Kubuntu. work's excelent. wish i had money for system76. they seem really well made/put together and also pleasing to the eye.

also UEFI is not the issue. UEFI is improved bios. the issue is secure boot.

also there is ubuntu certified page. the problem is that it's kind of old hardware on it. to me it was useless as i couldn't find any of those laptops on the market at the time. however - i did find those that were already tried by other people and then chose those that had it all working out of the box.