PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Error - Updating php in Ubuntu 10.04 (unable to create `/sbin/start-stop-daemon.dpkg-

sunil6
January 29th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Hello Guys,

I have ubuntu 10.04 long ago LAMP has been installed which been hosted for php projects,
Today i am updating php, i encountered with error which i searched in goole which i didn't found finally i'm posting for any resolution to this error.
I've been following these steps to upgrade my php from ssh Console
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ondrej/php5-oldstable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install php5
The problem is in the step of (sudo apt-get install php5)
the output i will paste it for your reference
:
:
root@myserver:/var/www# sudo apt-get install php5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libt1-5
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
dpkg libapache2-mod-php5 libedit2 libltdl7 libonig2 libqdbm14 php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-gd php5-mcrypt php5-mysql psmisc
Suggested packages:
php-pear
Recommended packages:
php5-readline
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libltdl7 libonig2 libqdbm14
The following packages will be upgraded:
dpkg libapache2-mod-php5 libedit2 php5 php5-cli php5-common php5-curl php5-gd php5-mcrypt php5-mysql psmisc
11 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 134 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/8656kB of archives.
After this operation, 1778kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 25386 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace dpkg 1.15.5.6ubuntu4 (using .../dpkg_1.15.8.4ubuntu3.1~lucid+1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement dpkg ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.15.8.4ubuntu3.1~lucid+1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
unable to create `/sbin/start-stop-daemon.dpkg-new' (while processing `./sbin/start-stop-daemon'): Permission denied
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.15.8.4ubuntu3.1~lucid+1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Please resolve this error, if you have any other steps to upgrade php, please let me know

fantab
January 29th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 has reached its end-of-life (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases). No more working repositories and no more updates/upgrades.
You will need to install the latest supported version of Ubuntu. If you want to upgrade to 12.04 read this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades

sunil6
January 29th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Atlease tell me how to solve the problem..

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.15.8.4ubuntu3.1~lucid+1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
unable to create `/sbin/start-stop-daemon.dpkg-new' (while processing `./sbin/start-stop-daemon'): Permission denied

SeijiSensei
January 29th, 2014, 04:20 PM
root@myserver:/var/www# sudo apt-get install php5

If you're already running with root privileges, don't use sudo. Just run "apt-get install ...".

sunil6
January 29th, 2014, 07:40 PM
If you're already running with root privileges, don't use sudo. Just run "apt-get install ...".

Have you seen the error i'm already in root,

It's not giving sudo before command, Its unable to stop and start the new one..........

SeijiSensei
January 30th, 2014, 03:03 PM
The point is that the root user does not have sudo privileges. Only members of group sudo do. By default that group includes only the user created at installation. So I don't know what happens exactly when you run sudo as the root user, but it's possible that you lose privileges as a result.

Did you trying running apt-get without sudo? What happened?