PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] install 12.04.3 hanging on 'configuring hardware'

mrag
January 29th, 2014, 01:15 AM
Installing Xubuntu along side XP on an older Compaq desktop. Have had to try several cd/dvd's and either they would not start or they'd hang early on. Latest one things went well until I suspect near the very end. First it was 'clearing files' which took a while and now the dvd is reading (blinking) and the timer/mouse is responsive and it says "configuring hardware." It has been doing that for more than 20 minutes. So far this partial install has taken over an hour.

What now?

mörgæs
January 29th, 2014, 01:17 AM
Please post a complete hardware description.

mrag
January 29th, 2014, 01:56 AM
5-6 year old Compaq S6300NX original 512MB ram, just added 1GB to total 1.5GB. 120GB HD. XP. DVD player and also stuck in older 40x32x16 (?) CD. Been using the DVD for install. At some point during install, was able to repartition HD to 40GB for XP and planned on remaining 80GB for Ubuntu. On last effort, things went smoothly and went on for some reasonable time; chose keyboard, location time, language, internet. Screen said it was cleaning up files then went on to "configuring hardware" and I thought 'wow, I did it!' That's where and when it just kind of stopped.

When I restart/reboot now with dvd in, it ignores Xubuntu dvd and boots right into XP. It is like the dvd device is working sporadically-on and off. Sometimes it reads the dvd, sometimes it ignores it, sometimes it reads some bit of it and then ignores it. How can I check dvd function?

mörgæs
January 29th, 2014, 02:05 AM
Is it only 5-6 years old? I had guessed 10.

I would suggest beginning with the minimal ISO (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall) (13.10) and Lubuntu after that.

mrag
January 29th, 2014, 03:27 AM
10 years maybe more accurate. I gave it to my daughter years ago and it's been buried at her house. Her kids are now old enough to possibly make use of it. In any event, I THINK I may have gotten Xubuntu 12.04.3 installed. It's downloading 178 updates right now, but it went through everything and seems fine (fingers crossed).

I believe my problem was some bad dvd media (disks) AND a bum dvd player. I just found a blank CD and burnt an image on that. I then used the old cd burner/player on the base (XP) unit for this latest install. I was using the dvd player. My guess is somewhere in the dvd player it will burp and hang up the installation.

Thanks for the prompt replies. Sometimes just knowing there is help out there is enough to keep one going. Much appreciated!