PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Black screen with blinking underscore when trying to boot usb

gordo151091
January 28th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Hello, Im trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bits on a Gateway NV53, but whenever I try to boot from the usb it shows me a black screen with a blinking underscore. I have tried using diferent filesystems (FAT, FAT32, NFTS) and also diferent iso to usb programa (livelinuxcreator, unebootin and Universal usb). I have tried using two diferent usbs and no avail. I have usb as a first boot priority in the BIOS, I have also tried to restore the BIOS no default settings. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Bashing-om
January 28th, 2014, 10:08 PM
gordo151091; Hi !

That box should run ubuntu just fine.
Just a maybe, the graphics card is no longer supported by AMD - unless you install the legacy version of 12.04.1 -
Make sure you have not checked the box "install 3rd party software" in the initial install stage to preclude an attempt to download a proprietary driver (??). This software additions can be addressed after the install is completed.

Also, might try:
Boot the liveUSB, soon as the bios screen clears depress and hold the left shift key -> language screen; escape key to accept the default;
Grub boot options screen -> f6 key -> boot options, choose "nomodeset" from the drop down menu.
enter to accept and then the escape key to exit;
enter key again to continue the boot process.

Do you now boot to the GUI ?

just try'n to help

gordo151091
January 30th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Hey Bashin-om! Thanks for your time writing the response. Reading your first response I thought I could first try installing Ubuntu from a CD before going deeper in the rabits hole, and guess what it worked. I still have no idea why the computer doesn't boot up usb. I still tried the second method and it didn't work. Thanks again for trying to help me.

:)

Bashing-om
January 30th, 2014, 06:43 PM
gordo151091; Hey,

Great you are up and running ubuntu !

As I suspect, most likely a graphics issue - the most common cause - why ubuntu does not work right out of the gate.
As you have marked this thread as solved, we can pursue the reasons why in a new thread.

it's all doable