PDA

View Full Version : 10 Reasons Why Linux Sucks

josh_nickles
January 28th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I am just tired of listening to people coming to me and saying: “have you tried Linux?”, “see how cool it is!”, “you won’t ask anything more!”. I was sort of fed up and tried my hands on collecting some things that are against Linux. Here is a list of 10 points that proves that Linux sucks.

It sucks because it is free of cost. There can’t be any free lunch in today’s world. I know what these free things are up to.

It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is messy.

It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it: People just contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don’t like software that are uncertain about who is handling them.

It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all. What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.

It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don’t stick with one distro: I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.

It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months: I have to upgrade it time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a idiot if I don’t upgrade.

It sucks because people don’t know what is the exact pronunciation of it? Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality: People who claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under an illusion.

It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face problems. I don’t like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.

It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use: How can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable; there must be something fishy about it.

It sucks because everybody who uses it says: I like it! This is perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a system for fool-proof?

(note I'm using sarcasm)

lz1dsb
January 28th, 2014, 08:54 AM
"It sucks because everybody who uses it says: I like it! " - that's a nice one :lolflag:

mastablasta
January 28th, 2014, 10:37 AM
there are versions one has to/can pay for. SUSE EL, RedHat to name a few...

wyliecoyoteuk
January 28th, 2014, 02:03 PM
You can foolproof any system.
You can't idiot proof it however.
http://www.darwinawards.com/

Don_Stahl
January 28th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Yes!

Linux sucks because it's like gravity: always attractive.

QDR06VV9
January 28th, 2014, 03:29 PM
As Elfy once stated "haters hate"
A must have for ME!!

neu5eeCh
January 28th, 2014, 03:38 PM
May I recommend the Linux Hater's Blog (http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/)? You may be ready for it.

Edit: I think you might enjoy this (http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2012/07/your-free-software-website-for-dummies.html) post,

Jonor
January 28th, 2014, 04:31 PM
Try not laughing at this one :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QAC39aXl1Ao

SuperFreak
January 28th, 2014, 04:42 PM
Very funny.
Wonder why a moustached bear sounds like a woman

deadflowr
January 28th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Edit: I think you might enjoy this (http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com/2012/07/your-free-software-website-for-dummies.html) post,

I did.
:lolflag:

It was funny, because how unfortunate most was true.(if not all)

QDR06VV9
January 29th, 2014, 03:34 AM

Oh my god! Seriously fell out of chair laughing..:popcorn:

There. Now you’re equipped to go create a site can compete with the best of ‘em. You’re welcome.

CharlesA
January 29th, 2014, 03:46 AM
Damn, I need to stop using Linux! I wonder where the 6 month release cycle came from. I thought the normal releases of Ubuntu were 9 months and LTS was 5 years.

Debian is around 2 year if I remember right. Not sure about Fedora other than "what it's ready"

Irihapeti
January 29th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Oh darn! I've been doing the WRONG, SUCKY THING for the past 6 1/2 years without realising it! How will I ever recover from the SHAME???

linuxyogi
January 29th, 2014, 04:41 PM
If someone doesn't like reinstalling there are rolling distros out there like Manjaro which is both stable and up to date.

leclerc65
January 29th, 2014, 06:11 PM
The hunt for the Higgs boson (http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/the-technology-behind-cern-the-hunt-for-the-higgs-boson-1119595)

Bill Tetzeli
February 13th, 2014, 07:58 PM
You forgot to add

- Linux sucks because you don't have to pay Microsoft for putting a smartphone on your desktop
- Linux sucks because you can configure the security so it'll take the digital equivalent of a hydrogen bomb to break it
- Linux sucks because you can install fifty programs with one command line and walk away while it happens, while in Windows you have to download and double click every bleedin' installation file individually, then follow along with all the prompts (careful not to include the optional spyware!)
- Linux sucks because if you have a problem there are knowledgeable people who will help you for free
- Linux sucks because many open source programs such as Audacity, GIMP, Libre Office and more are ported so Windows and Mac users can have them too - for free
- Linux sucks because the open source driver that allows me to connect to my OfficeJet 6500 printer wirelessly will also let me use the scanner wirelessly, while the proprietary Windows driver that came in the box or downloads from HP's website - won't
- Linux sucks because installing anything requires knowledge of the root password, one of several features that keeps Linux safe from viruses - and why the number of viruses actually written for Linux is in the small dozens, rather than Windows' millions.
- Linux sucks because if I stop liking the distro I'm using I can hop over to one I do like for free

God I hate Linux. Hate hate hate hate hate it.

monkeybrain20122
February 13th, 2014, 08:00 PM
If someone doesn't like reinstalling there are rolling distros out there like Manjaro which is both stable and up to date.

But Manjaro's update can be tricky. At the moment I have a few packages that wouldn't update in my Manjaro partition. Will take a look when I get around to. (but then it might have been my fault to have install them from AUR. :))

Bill Tetzeli
February 13th, 2014, 08:25 PM
But Manjaro's update can be tricky. At the moment I have a few packages that wouldn't update in my Manjaro partition. Will take a look when I get around to. (but then it might have been my fault to have install them from AUR. :))
Downloading Manjaro XFCE right now to install on my guinea pig netbook. I'm going to test out the "user friendly" claim and see just how far I can get before googling for help. ;-)

Habitual
February 13th, 2014, 08:45 PM
On Windows, this evaluates as False...

while (true)
{
SelectDistro($distro);
$boredOfDistro = false;

while (!$boredOfDistro)
{
ScrewUp($epicFail);
SolveProblem($solution);

if (NowBored())
{
$boredOfDistro = true;
$distro = FindAGoodDistro();
}
}
}
But it works just fine on Linux and even *BSD*?

mattlach
February 13th, 2014, 10:37 PM
All that being said, Desktop Linux DOES have some legitimate obstacles, and isn't for everyone. (while reading this keep in mind that I AM a linux fan and DO run it as my primary OS)

1.) Software Compatibility: People are used to the ubiquity of Windows software. It will run close to anything. Not having that ability in Linux (without spending a few weeks tearing your hair out trying to configure that disaster called Wine before finally giving up) will turn a lot of people off. Depending on my mood I am sometimes among them. Sure Libre-Office is nice, but it is Not Ms Office and it does not have perfect compatibility (especially on the Excel side). On the same note Gimp is no Photoshop. Doesn't even come close, and UFRAW is the only camera raw converter in Linux, and it is terrible compared to the native tools on Windows and OS X. If you like games, the offerings are still pretty slim too. I'm hoping a lot of this will change if SteamOS becomes popular, as it will bring newfound attention to Linux on the desktop.

2.) Hardware Compatibility and System Setup: This used to be a bigger problem than it once was, thanks in huge part to the Ubuntu team. I used desktop Linux before Ubuntu and With Ubuntu (including Ubuntu based Distributions) and WOW have we come a long way. There are still some nagging issues here, but hopefully the SteamOS initiative will make Linux a priority to hardware vendors driver teams as well.

3.) Community: The linux community is still a little bit on the arrogant side, and while there is a lot of information and guides online, the very basics and language are sometimes elusive, and people are often put down for asking simple questions. This needs to change.

Other than that, all the old arguments against Linux are IMHO moot at this point. Modern distributions are as easy to use and setup as Windows is (IMHO, it's EASIER to install Linux than Windows these days, especially if you've ever spent a day hunting for the correct drivers and updating Windows to current rebooting 67 times in the process), and it is a much more secure and stable platform.

I currently run Mint 16 with Cinnamon as my main install, have Windows 7 installed as a guest inside a VMWare Player VM for my Windows software needs (because Wine never works and is impossible to configure) . It's a little slower than running natively, but I can live with it for now. For when I play games (which I rarely do) I dual boot to a bare metal Windows 7 install. It's annoying to have to do this, but right now there is no good way around it. Hopefully long term more software will support linux natively, and this will be less and less of a problem.

Oh, and Linux/Unix still is the best platform - bar none - for servers. IMHO, nothing with a GUI has any business being a server, especially not Windows.

Bill Tetzeli
February 13th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Well, Manjaro 32-bit on my netbook was impressive at first, but it tripped up on SSH access. I even copied my ~/.ssh folder from my default netbook install as well as the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file, so I should have been able to connect with no problem. Nope - every time I tried to do VNC (w/-localhost option) via SSH tunnel using Remmina I was immediately kicked off. It may have something to do with the openssh Arch package as opposed to the openssh-server Ubuntu package - maybe not. But I'm not going to even try learning how to fix it today. Am restoring Mint installation as I type. The quest to find a non-Ubuntu option I feel comfortable with remains a quest for another day. (Poor me, stuck with only 74 Ubuntu spins, and only nine or ten that I really like - another reason Linux sucks! :P )

D_H
February 19th, 2014, 08:39 PM
Great list - haha, definitely agree

Sector11
March 6th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Damn, I need to stop using Linux! I wonder where the 6 month release cycle came from. I thought the normal releases of Ubuntu were 9 months and LTS was 5 years.

Debian is around 2 year if I remember right. Not sure about Fedora other than "what it's ready"

Debian has settled on a 2 year cycle for the stable release. See Index of releases (http://www.debian.org/releases/).

Ununtu's cycle (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases) is 6 months - October and April - 'End of life' for those is a bit longer and the LTS versions are 5 years

Debian's unstable release (sid) is a 'rolling release and as long as your system doesn't go "Oops", with regular maintenance:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade --no-install-recommends... and knowing when to say No to that and it's always up to date. I'd be running SID for almost two and a half years if my HDD hadn't died in Dec. Good backup saved the day though I only lost a couple of days worth of stuff.

Debian's 'stable' at two years is not bad at all if you want 'stability' over 'new improved' - not as old as Ubuntu's 5 year cycle, but very acceptable.

And if Linux sucks, I want to be a vacuum!

pretty_whistle
March 7th, 2014, 11:20 PM
Ok, ok. Enough. There are so many reasons to hate Linux that it makes me want Windows again. Yes, Windows it is then. Then I can have fun getting virus' and malware and spyware, just to name a few. I particularly loved it when I had to wipe my HDD and reinstall Windows because of it. The excitement of it is too much to ignore any longer. Windows it is then!
:-p

craig10x
March 8th, 2014, 12:31 AM
There's no question that windows is so much more exciting (what will go wrong next?) where as linux can be very boring as it is predictable, reliable and stable :D

endlessinstant
March 8th, 2014, 02:21 AM
The tedium of logging onto my system and realizing I don't have an AV scan to run or software to update is nauseating. If I didn't have business to tend to on my computer, I might have to do some actual work.

What a dreadful thought.

sam-c
March 8th, 2014, 03:00 AM
Not Always Free! but thousands of supporters which is an advantage and source code is availabe so bugs can be tracked and solved!
Also the more you use Unix/Linux the more you like it.
Ubuntu Linux is Safer as it seperates Simple User VS More advanced User!

slooksterpsv
March 8th, 2014, 05:08 AM
It sucks because it is free of cost. There can’t be any free lunch in today’s world. I know what these free things are up to. - Linux is FREE always and forever. Deal with it cause it really is FREE. Not everything costs $$$ in this world like community, love, compassion, etc.

It sucks because there is no copyright infringement or any other limitation on the use. Anybody and everybody can contribute in its development. It is messy. - But with that the coders do have standards to adhere to. If you don't know how to code, don't worry about it, otherwise if you're learning, you can read through the code and understand how it works, it's not messy.

It sucks because nobody can claim the ownership on it: People just contribute and develop. Who is the authority on it and who is liable? I don’t like software that are uncertain about who is handling them. That's the beauty! Because no one person owns it it's free. Why have liabilities on it? If you want to complain cause M$'s product doesn't work cause of a 3rd party program, who do you complain to? M$ or the 3rd party application holder? Sounds like you just want to rant.

It sucks because it has the spirit of spreading computers to one and all. What I would do if everybody knows computers and knows how to use it. It will ruin my business and my panache in my small towns where I am the celebrity and the-computer-guy.The computer is a vast device and is able help others and strengthen skills overall. You shouldn't be scared of it, embrace it. Linux breaks as well, maybe not as often as Windows, but if you're "the-computer-guy" you should understand the key benefits of Linux.

It sucks because there are many distributions in it. People just don’t stick with one distro: I like to choose one thing and then stay with it.You have a choice, you have options, you're not limited to 7, 8, or 8.1; you're not limited to 10.7, 10.8, 10.9; I like to try different distros to see what works best for me. The primary one you hear and see so much of is Ubuntu or its derivatives. Ubuntu is based off of Debian, Steam OS uses Debian, but Ubuntu is based off of Steam

It sucks because its release cycle is 6 months: I have to upgrade it time and again. I hate these upgrades making me feel that I will be termed a idiot if I don’t upgrade.You can use an LTS, but if you want the latest and greatest you will have to upgrade every 6 months. M$'s release cycle is approx 1-2 years now and that adds up costly. You can also use a rolling-release which may break, but if you're versed in Linux you can fix it.

It sucks because people don’t know what is the exact pronunciation of it? Linix, Lynex, Linax, or what. I mean it does not have a name that can be uniform throughout the world. A name is a mark of functionality: People who claim that it works so well and does not have any working problems are under an illusion.li - like little - nux - like ucks in chucks

It sucks because there are communities and groups who help you if you face problems. I don’t like talking to humans. I love the computer sounds that make you feel talking to aliens.Anti-Social much?

It sucks because it does not have any problem and is simple to use: How can a system without problem exist? A problem-less system is not reliable; there must be something fishy about it.No it's just built strong. Most of your web servers out there use Linux, and they generally have a 99% up-time. That's quality!

It sucks because everybody who uses it says: I like it! This is perhaps a borrowed sentence. Nobody is giving genuine review of it. How could be a system for fool-proof?You can ask specifics like: what do you like about it? What features do you enjoy? Dig a little.

(note I'm using sarcasm)

Are you serious!!! I went through that and missed the sarcasm spot at the end. Sheesh! Dang dude you had me going! Congrats =D

su:bhatta
March 8th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Debian has settled on a 2 year cycle for the stable release.

And if Linux sucks, I want to be a vacuum!

+1

Debian, ah, yes... Debian 7.4 with FVWM, nothing comes close to that installation of mine !

GrouchyGaijin
March 9th, 2014, 10:12 AM
It sucks because I have an old computer that won't run anything newer than XP, yet with Linux I can run a long term stable OS.

peyo2
April 20th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I was reading through this thread and I'm amazed how delusional and fanatical some linux community members can be... The only scenario where linux is usable is in a server environment (takes the throne without question). But anywhere else its unusable.

I've tried, I've really really tried to use Linux Desktop, it's impossible, it's bordering masochistic. You cannot even leave the system running for one day without problems and even if you go through the hell of setting it up then the compromises start... No Photoshop use "The Gimp" the ugly (objectively), weird (objectively) unholy mess of a software, no Microsoft Office? Use "LibreOffice" buuut your documents will be butchered and it might crush now and than and the list goes on. So here are 10 real reasons why Linux Sucks:

1. It's ugly!
- GNOME (weird), KDE (Good lord...), Unity (I will explain) they all have one problem they are UGLY | Reason: DEVELOPERS CANNOT DESIGN UI
1.1 Unity: - Installing (Beautiful) -> Booting (Gorgeous) -> Login Screen (Wow) -> Desktop (Wow) ... -> Opening a program (eg. firefox) (Ahh for the love of god I want to beat this buttons with a bat)

2. "I would like to change a simple setting (eg VPN) what should I do please?" --- "Aaahhh no problem just ctrl+alt+t.. sudo apt bla bla bla"
- Some basic necessities can be only done with the terminal | Reason: Developers are highly subjective and never put themselves in the shoes of "Joe Six Pack" who will NEVER EVER be comfortable in terminal

3. Lack of PROFESSIONAL software. I'm sorry GIMP, LibreOffice etc. cannot replace their proprietary counterparts on different platforms

4. UI Design inconsistency. Not only that most of linux software is ugly (with rear exceptions) but one tries to outperform the other in ugliness and you get a lot of different tastes of ugly.

5. General hostility towards different opinions (I'm wondering what will happen after I click "Post Quick Reply")

6. Hostility towards change and idolizing the times (the late 70' and 80') when the grass was green, the girls were pretty and unicorns made of fudge and candy were roaming around / Unwillingness to adopt to modern times (Read RMS)

7. Fanatic Politics and ideologies between developers that often clash with each other and hence the mess we are in. One are pragmatists others are purists the third are communists... a mess

8. Hostility towards Proprietary software/drivers (and often sabotaging initiatives) I'm sorry but I believe there are some fanatics in key places that simply sabotage proprietary software.

9. Hostility towards designers... hence the UI of GIMP

10. And finally the mess that is GPL license.... as I said it was fine when everything was free and unicorns of fudge and cotton candy were roaming around but now the industry is different and the GPL license only slows down progress.

There it is... this is my version of why linux sucks, my objective, non biased, non fanatical, non deluded list. Argue all you want but in order for linux to succeed in the normal world some drastic changes need to take place... this socialist method of doing things simply fails in practice... and we tried socialism on a large scale before... it fails... on that thought its funny Linux Desktop looks like living in the Soviet Russia... everyone blinded by ideology of the peasant collective while Windows and OS X users experience the pure Americana and the good standard of living that comes from it.

Elfy
April 20th, 2014, 05:31 PM
closed