PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Windows 7 Hanging at Starting Screen after Dualboot Installation

ajdlc47
January 28th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Hello everyone, I have been struggling for a couple of days now trying to figure out why this happening. So I recently have installed Ubuntu Studio along side my existing installation of Windows 7 64-bit. I was having a really hard time trying to install Ubuntu Studio 13.10 along side my Windows installation. Once I finally got it working. I wanted to repartition my HD so it can have more space. Well, this is where things go bad, I am pretty new to Ubuntu so what I did was I just deleted the partition that Ubuntu was installed on and I ran the installation again via DVD. So it installed with some errors but once that happened I tried to reboot and I was stuck at the grub_rescue screen. I couldn't get out of it. Luckily, I was able to make a Boot-Repair Disc and I ran the recommended and that fixed the grub_rescue screen and I was able to get into Ubuntu. But, I didn't like that there were errors in the install so I retried that installation of Ubuntu again and it worked with no problems. I am currently in Ubuntu Studio right now typing this up on the web browser. But here is my issue, when I try to boot to the Windows install, it just hangs on the Starting Windows screen. I have an SSD so normally that loads pretty quickly. I have let it sit there for about 20 to 30 minutes and nothing. I have tried almost everything I could find. I have ran Test Disk but I don't get the option to repair boot, I have ran Boot-Repair and have tried some of the advanced options (I can't remember which ones but I think it was the fix Windows ones), and the one that is really throwing me off is I have tried to use a Windows Rescue Disc to fun the bootrec.exe /fixboot command but whenever I load up the disc it says it's not compatible with my system. I know I am using the right one. I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64-but edition and that's the Rescue Disc I have. One thing that really stood out was that, I tried just a regular Windows 64bit Home Premium Installation CD and it gave me the same error when trying to run the "Repair my computer" option. So I decided just to see what my drives looked like so I clicked on Install. When I was at the menu that showed my drives, it said that Windows could be installed on the partition that already Windows on it because it was in like GIP or GTS format, I know it was G something, and not NTSF. Which I found odd because I never changed that partition on the drive. But in GParted it says it's NTFS. I am frustrated out of my mind right now. If anyone can help me out with this I would truly appreciate it. I had Windows working fine and then boom it just hangs.
Sorry if this explanation seems kind of choppy, I am running on fumes right now. I have been at this for about 2 days almost non-stop. I just want to get my Windows back, and I am trying to avoid a fresh install.

Thanks

fantab
January 28th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Boot with Ubuntu install DVD/USB, 'Try Ubuntu Without Installing', Open Terminal [ctrl+alt+T], run the following commands and post its output here:

sudo parted -l
sudo fdisk -l

You've said you ran Boot-Repair, do you have a LINK to BootInfo Summary? If you do, then post the link here.

ajdlc47
January 28th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Hello Fantab, thank you for the reply, this is what happens when I try to use the "Try Ubuntu Without Installing" from my flashdrive that I created and used to install Ubuntu Stduio: http://imgur.com/cKW4Kb1 that's the screen I get. The little white cursor image is a black X. I can move it around but nothing happens.

Also this is my GRUB Menu, what I thought was strange was the many boot options I had for Windows: http://imgur.com/6g49D1K

I don't have the link to the original BootInfo Summaries from when I ran Boot-Repair the first couple of times, honestly I wasn't planning on using the forums, I thought I would be able to handle it myself so I didn't save them. If you want I can run Boot-Repair again and then link the new BootInfo Summary if that helps.

Whoops, forgot to mention that I ran the code in terminal from the Ubuntu Studio install that is currently on my PC, so not from a disc or USB drive.
Here is the output in Terminal from "sudo parted -l"

Model: ATA KINGSTON SH103S3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 211MB 210MB fat32 EFI system partition boot
2 211MB 345MB 134MB Microsoft reserved partition msftres
3 345MB 93.2GB 92.8GB ntfs Basic data partition boot
4 93.2GB 93.2GB 1049kB bios_grub
5 93.2GB 111GB 18.3GB ext4
6 111GB 120GB 8547MB linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B

3 345MB 1000GB 1000GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata

And here is the output from "sudo fdisk -l"

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234441648 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xee587651

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 234441647 117220823+ ee GPT

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
256 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121126 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x527cd163

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 4294967295 2147483647+ ee GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

fantab
January 28th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Yep, Bootinfo Summary should help determine the issue. Please post a new one.

ajdlc47
January 29th, 2014, 04:18 AM
Here is the link to the boot info summary: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6835630/

fantab
January 29th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Your Ubuntu is installed on /dev/sda and Windows is on /dev/sdb.
Both the Hard Disks have EFI System Partition [ESP].
Normally when installing Ubuntu and if you have two HDDs you will designate the Grub Location, in your case it should be ESP /dev/sda1 since Ubuntu is installed there. ESP /dev/sdb1 should be for Windows as Win is installed there. You have installed everything everywhere, that is, you have both Windows and Ubuntu boot files on both the HDDs ESPs. Probably that is why you have many Windows entries in the Grub menu.

When you ran Boot-Repair it renamed the Windows boot file: /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi
You should re-run Boot-Repair with the option 'Restore EFI backups' and that should do. And also double check that your Grub is being installed to /dev/sda1.
Make sure you boot your Ubuntu DVD/USB to use Boot-Repair, in EFI mode only... See Here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI#Identifying_if_the_computer_boots_the_Ubuntu_ DVD_in_EFI_mode).
Make sure you setup /dev/sda1 or Ubuntu as your first boot in UEFI boot menu.
Always make note of the Bootinfo Summary Link, and post it here if have any more boot issues.

You can clean up the Grub menu to unwanted/unnecessary entries with efibootmgr (http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/hardy/man8/efibootmgr.8.html).

You have setup /dev/sda5 as a 'legacy boot/non-EFI' partition with 'bios_grub" flag. This is used when you boot Linux from a GPT disk in a Legacy/non-UEFI mode. This not needed in your case. Just remove the 'bios_grub' flag with Gparted.

Good Luck.

ajdlc47
January 29th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Geesh it really looks like I messed a lot up. Thank you for all your help Fantab. Sadly, it is still hanging. I tried the Restore EFI Backups option just like you said and I purged and reinstalled GRUB as well, and it is still hanging on the Starting Windows screen. Boot repair gave me this message when it as done:
The boot files of [The OS now in use - Ubuntu 13.10] are far from the start of the disk. Your BIOS may not detect them. You may want to retry after creating a /boot partition (EXT4, >200MB, start of the disk). This can be performed via tools such as gParted. Then select this partition via the [Separate /boot partition:] option of [Boot Repair]. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootPartition)

It also said I may want to try again and enable the option of "Backup and Rename Windows EFI Files." When I ran the Restore EFI Backups, it asked me if I wanted to do that and I said no. Should I redo it and say yes next time or try another method? Also, should I try what Boot Repair told me to do and create that new partition?

I also made sure I was in EFI mode. I ran Boot Repair from within my Ubuntu Installation, is that a problem or should I try it from the DVD? I can't boot from the USB for some reason I don't know what happened but it just gives me that black screen that I posted earlier. I can try a DVD though and see if that works.

fantab
January 29th, 2014, 05:10 PM
When I ran the Restore EFI Backups, it asked me if I wanted to do that and I said no. Should I redo it and say yes next time or try another method? Also, should I try what Boot Repair told me to do and create that new partition?

Since we want to restore efi backups you should say 'YES' when BR confrims your action.
No need to create any partition.

ajdlc47
January 31st, 2014, 01:25 AM
Since we want to restore efi backups you should say 'YES' when BR confrims your action.
No need to create any partition.

Hello Fantab, I am sorry for the late reply, I had to come home and work on some things from my job that have taken up my time the last few days. So I ran MBR with the restore of efi backups, and Windows is still hanging. Here is my pastebin link http://paste.ubuntu.com/6846711/
Also, here is the message I was talking about when I use my Windows Home premium disc to just see what's going on with the drives: http://imgur.com/Vq9rtd9 I don't know if it will help but now you can see what I am talking about.

fantab
January 31st, 2014, 03:49 AM
parted -l:

Model: ATA KINGSTON SH103S3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

3 345MB 93.2GB 92.8GB ntfs Basic data partition boot
4 93.2GB 93.2GB 1049kB bios_grub
5 93.2GB 111GB 18.3GB ext4
6 111GB 120GB 8547MB linux-swap(v1)

Model: ATA ST1000LM024 HN-M (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B

3 345MB 1000GB 1000GB ntfs Basic data partition msftdata

The partitions (/dev/sda3 and /dev/sdb1 ONLY) I have painted red above have 'boot' flags. Remove them. You can remove them with Gparted booted Live.
Also remove the 'bios_grub' flag on /dev/sda4.
In Gparted select the partition you need to work on, Right Click -> Select 'Manage Flags' -> uncheck 'boot' and close. Apply Changes.

I think those flags are confusing the boot.
Also which one is your Windows C: partition, the 92Gb on HDD1 or 1000Gb on HDD2?

ajdlc47
January 31st, 2014, 05:15 AM
My Windows is on the C: 92gb partition. The other partition is just a storage partition. Okay so I just removed the flags. I am going to try and boot into Windows now.

Fantab, you are genius! Thank you so much for your help. I have my Windows back and my Ubuntu works fine! Thank you, thank you, thank you! :)
One last question, should I do anything at this point? Or am I good to go?

fantab
January 31st, 2014, 07:32 AM
Congrats! I am glad that boot issue is resolved.

One last question, should I do anything at this point? Or am I good to go?

Nothing really, you are good.
However, making a backup of your EFI partition, ie. /dev/sda1 will be a good idea.
You can use This Tool (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) to do so, read documentation (http://kb.macrium.com/Popular.aspx) for more help, but you can use ANY good partition backup tool.