PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome- all dropdowns are shaded black

cincibluer6
January 27th, 2014, 05:39 PM
So I'm not exactly sure how to change this.

Environment- Dell and Toshiba are both running Gnome 3.10 on Ubuntu 13.10.

Issue- dropdowns from the clicking on the date, or weather in the top, or using empathy in the bottom bar are either shaded black or white.

Problem- My Toshiba is displaying the dropdowns in shaded white but my Dell (which I want to change) is using the black shade. I don't see an option to change it from the black shade to the white shade. I looked in the tweak tool and there is a button for global dark theme (which is what I assumed was the culprit) but it is set to off and still displays black.

So basically I just want to change it to white (easier on my eyes) but don't know how.
I can include a screenshot later if it helps to visualize what the problem is.

Frogs Hair
January 27th, 2014, 07:45 PM
There are Gnome Shell themes available other than the default in a variety if colors, but the selection might be more limited with Gnome 3.10. Shell themes are applied to the top panel , menus , and dash overview and some suites include GTK themes also.

http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=191&PHPSESSID=64d14be2e5897ba5e72d9d494822c70f

http://www.deviantart.com/?q=Gnome+shell

cincibluer6
January 28th, 2014, 05:28 AM
The thing is, I can have both set to the same on each comp and still the Dell doesn't change. I'm not sure it's a GTK thing. I want to say I am definitely wrong but my experience says otherwise.

Frogs Hair
January 28th, 2014, 04:48 PM
The default Gnome Shell theme has always been black on my installations . The shell theme is separate from gtk theme and Gnome 3.10 is also installed via PPA and not considered stable or officially supported . Gnome 3.10 wont be in the Ubuntu repository until 14.04. 13.10 comes with 3.8 by default and I was suggesting another theme as a work around.

From Launchpad gnome 3 PPA:

=== *WARNING* ===
The packages here have been deemed not ready for general use, they have known bugs and/or regressions, sometimes of a critical nature. Mostly things should run smoothly but be prepared to use ppa-purge, when you encounter issues!

cincibluer6
January 29th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Oh yeah, I know that. Thing is, I'm using Zukitwo (always been a sucker for it) and it's white dropdowns on one and black on the others. Weird.
I'll keep looking into it.