PDA

View Full Version : Elementary os applets issue.

robert49
January 27th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Hi comunity.
I have just installed elementary OS and I want some of the beautiful applets ubuntu has. I have installed them but they don't work, first of all the weather indicator does not start at all for me to do the settings. Then the cpu meter does not apear on the top bar. Is this a general problem or am I doing something wrong?

RadicaX
January 27th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Ahh Welcome to the forums. To let you know, it might of been easier to get a reply for Elementary OS in the other OS/distro support a little lower on the forums.

Could you give a bit more information perhaps about your set up too? Like what is your computer like? What Graphics card does it use, the specs. Some of the Applets are based on that Cairo-dock thing I imagine you mean? like under the cafe and where people show snapshots of their desktops?

I might not be able to help much, I most certainly will try, and I know if someone else sees your problem, I am sure they will help.

robert49
January 27th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Oh that was a fast reply. I apreciate that! Aftev the "lshw -C video" I have a ATI radeon HD 4650 with 1gb of video memory. 4 gigs of RAM and a 2.66 quad core Intel processor. SO i understand I have posted in the wrong section,I am sorry because i don't want to bother any admin/mod with moving my post :(. This situation will not repeat.

Edit : also i have a bit of lag, what can be the cause? I installed the os by a tutorial in youtube ^^

mörgæs
January 27th, 2014, 09:40 AM
it might of been easier to get a reply for Elementary OS in the other OS/distro support a little lower on the forums.

Yes, moved.

robert49
January 27th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Thank you kind sir ^^

robbie 348
January 27th, 2014, 10:26 AM
This page gives some good info post install of EoS
http://www.elementaryupdate.com/2013/08/top-things-to-do-after-installing-luna.html

robert49
January 27th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I have installed most of the stuff in there, found another weather indicator different than "my weather indicator". It starts but it doesn't let me choose the location. Some sort of bug i read on the internet.

RadicaX
January 27th, 2014, 09:31 PM
Okay thank you for all the info. Hmm, and you followed the instructions on this site you say? Hmm, it sounds like some of the packages might be messed up or something. You could try re-installing the weather indicator. What is it? Is it the Gazette one found on the site?

cd /etc/gazette

ls

if you do not use Gazette, just change the name with the program you do use, we will be able to see the files in there and check if anything is missing I would imagine. (Comparing can be of great help when you are unsure.)

You could also report the apps to the people that make it, this might help you. And do you have your firewall up? That could be blocking it going to the net to check for things.

robert49
January 28th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Well lots of reports have been made. The issue is under observation. I tried gazette but it is sorta spaz out at the begining when i open it via terminal. It goes crazy and i need to click it to become clear so i just uninstalled it. I guess i have to wait for the applets to get fixed. Many people have this issue so i think they will hurry a update that will probably fix the bugs. I also tried Bucharest as the capital of my country and it still didn't work, i tried London and it was the same story. I will keep searching. I tried like 2-3 types of fixes with dconf Editor and installing new versions but after all it was the same story. I am using Weather Indicator ( not my weather indicator, this one is not even starting) and the cd command is not working :-s robert@Robert-Computer:~$ cd /etc/indicator-weatherbash: cd: /etc/indicator-weather: No such file or directory .

EDIT :

robert@Robert-Computer:~$ cd /etc/ indicator-weatherrobert@Robert-Computer:/etc$ ls
acpi hdparm.conf pcmcia
adduser.conf host.conf perl
adjtime hostname pkcs11
alternatives hosts pm
anacrontab hosts.allow pnm2ppa.conf
apg.conf hosts.deny polkit-1
apm hp ppp
apparmor icedtea-web preload.conf
apparmor.d ifplugd profile
apport ImageMagick profile.d
apt init protocols
at.deny init.d pulse
ati initramfs-tools python
at-spi2 inputrc python2.7
avahi insserv rc0.d
bash.bashrc insserv.conf rc1.d
bash_completion insserv.conf.d rc2.d
bash_completion.d iproute2 rc3.d
bindresvport.blacklist issue rc4.d
blkid.conf issue.net rc5.d
blkid.tab java-6-openjdk rc6.d
bluetooth kbd rc.local
brlapi.key kernel rcS.d
brltty kernel-img.conf resolvconf
brltty.conf ldap resolv.conf
ca-certificates ld.so.cache rmt
ca-certificates.conf ld.so.conf rpc
calendar ld.so.conf.d rsyslog.conf
chatscripts legal rsyslog.d
chromium-browser libnl-3 samba
colord.conf libpaper.d sane.d
conky libreoffice securetty
ConsoleKit lightdm security
console-setup locale.alias sensors3.conf
cron.d localtime sensors.d
cron.daily logcheck services
cron.hourly login.defs sgml
cron.monthly logrotate.conf shadow
crontab logrotate.d shadow-
cron.weekly lsb-base shells
cups lsb-base-logging.sh skel
cupshelpers lsb-release snmp
dbus-1 ltrace.conf speech-dispatcher
debconf.conf magic ssh
debian_version magic.mime ssl
default mailcap sudoers
defoma mailcap.order sudoers.d
deluser.conf manpath.config sysctl.conf
depmod.d mime.types sysctl.d
dhcp mke2fs.conf systemd
dhcp3 modprobe.d terminfo
dictionaries-common modules timezone
dkms motd tor
doc-base mtab torsocks.conf
dpkg mtab.fuselock ts.conf
emacs mtools.conf ucf.conf
environment mysql udev
fonts nanorc ufw
foomatic netscsid.conf update-manager
fstab network update-motd.d
fstab.d NetworkManager update-notifier
fuse.conf networks UPower
gai.conf newt upstream-release
gconf nsswitch.conf usb_modeswitch.conf
gdb ntp.conf usb_modeswitch.d
ghostscript obex-data-server vim
ginn ODBCDataSources VisualBoyAdvance.cfg
gnome odbc.ini vlc
gnome-app-install odbcinst.ini vtrgb
gnome-settings-daemon openal wgetrc
groff OpenCL wodim.conf
group opt wpa_supplicant
group- os-release X11
grub.d pam.conf xdg
gshadow pam.d xml
gshadow- papersize zsh_command_not_found
gtk-2.0 passwd
gtk-3.0 passwd-

RadicaX
January 28th, 2014, 07:21 AM
Well lots of reports have been made. The issue is under observation. I tried gazette but it is sorta spaz out at the begining when i open it via terminal. It goes crazy and i need to click it to become clear so i just uninstalled it. I guess i have to wait for the applets to get fixed. Many people have this issue so i think they will hurry a update that will probably fix the bugs. I also tried Bucharest as the capital of my country and it still didn't work, i tried London and it was the same story. I will keep searching. I tried like 2-3 types of fixes with dconf Editor and installing new versions but after all it was the same story. I am using Weather Indicator ( not my weather indicator, this one is not even starting) and the cd command is not working :-s robert@Robert-Computer:~$ cd /etc/indicator-weatherbash: cd: /etc/indicator-weather: No such file or directory .

robert@Robert-Computer:~$ cd /etc/ indicator-weatherrobert@Robert-Computer:/etc$ ls
acpi hdparm.conf pcmcia
adduser.conf host.conf perl
adjtime hostname pkcs11
alternatives hosts pm
anacrontab hosts.allow pnm2ppa.conf
apg.conf hosts.deny polkit-1
apm hp ppp
apparmor icedtea-web preload.conf
apparmor.d ifplugd profile
apport ImageMagick profile.d
apt init protocols
at.deny init.d pulse
ati initramfs-tools python
at-spi2 inputrc python2.7
avahi insserv rc0.d
bash.bashrc insserv.conf rc1.d
bash_completion insserv.conf.d rc2.d
bash_completion.d iproute2 rc3.d
bindresvport.blacklist issue rc4.d
blkid.conf issue.net rc5.d
blkid.tab java-6-openjdk rc6.d
bluetooth kbd rc.local
brlapi.key kernel rcS.d
brltty kernel-img.conf resolvconf
brltty.conf ldap resolv.conf
ca-certificates ld.so.cache rmt
ca-certificates.conf ld.so.conf rpc
calendar ld.so.conf.d rsyslog.conf
chatscripts legal rsyslog.d
chromium-browser libnl-3 samba
colord.conf libpaper.d sane.d
conky libreoffice securetty
ConsoleKit lightdm security
console-setup locale.alias sensors3.conf
cron.d localtime sensors.d
cron.daily logcheck services
cron.hourly login.defs sgml
cron.monthly logrotate.conf shadow
crontab logrotate.d shadow-
cron.weekly lsb-base shells
cups lsb-base-logging.sh skel
cupshelpers lsb-release snmp
dbus-1 ltrace.conf speech-dispatcher
debconf.conf magic ssh
debian_version magic.mime ssl
default mailcap sudoers
defoma mailcap.order sudoers.d
deluser.conf manpath.config sysctl.conf
depmod.d mime.types sysctl.d
dhcp mke2fs.conf systemd
dhcp3 modprobe.d terminfo
dictionaries-common modules timezone
dkms motd tor
doc-base mtab torsocks.conf
dpkg mtab.fuselock ts.conf
emacs mtools.conf ucf.conf
environment mysql udev
fonts nanorc ufw
foomatic netscsid.conf update-manager
fstab network update-motd.d
fstab.d NetworkManager update-notifier
fuse.conf networks UPower
gai.conf newt upstream-release
gconf nsswitch.conf usb_modeswitch.conf
gdb ntp.conf usb_modeswitch.d
ghostscript obex-data-server vim
ginn ODBCDataSources VisualBoyAdvance.cfg
gnome odbc.ini vlc
gnome-app-install odbcinst.ini vtrgb
gnome-settings-daemon openal wgetrc
groff OpenCL wodim.conf
group opt wpa_supplicant
group- os-release X11
grub.d pam.conf xdg
gshadow pam.d xml
gshadow- papersize zsh_command_not_found
gtk-2.0 passwd
gtk-3.0 passwd-

Okay, this helps to show all the things you have on your computer at the moment. While some of it is different, we can see a lot the same too compared to our own set up. It is odd looking through it though, I do not see the files of any of the things.

I am not seeing anything about Gazette in there, I can see stuff like for example tor, which tells us you use the TOR browser. I would also think you ran some kind of server with some of the things on there. But this might be why the programs are having some problems. It might not of installed in the right place. (Somehow my sister installed skype in the temporary internet files once, beats the heck out of me how.)

hmm. Do you know the people that make these said programs? I will do a bit of looking around myself, because I have no clue why they should not be there. I am thinking that might be the problem.

edit:
Did you update pywapi?

robert49
January 28th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I don't think i updated pywapi. The tor browser does not work either,i installed it because i am a member of a forum on the darknet but it's not working, but i am using the one from my phone. I had gazette but i uninstalled it.

RadicaX
January 28th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Yes then, it sounds like some of the packages are just missing some of the things.

https://launchpad.net/weather-indicator This is to the launchpad, and they say they need pywapi.

https://launchpad.net/~pywapi-devel/+archive/ppa to which you will have to install the ppa for too. (which you can do with an apt-get command.) or I believe by hitting the link there, pick the one that says newest. Odds are for all the apps giving you trouble, things like that have happened. Try this out and if you need some help or want commands just say, I will post them.

robert49
January 28th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Yea i will need help with the commands. I know some of them but if i don't get the right package name i get stuck :P

RadicaX
January 28th, 2014, 08:25 AM
Okay, for the most part, it should let you just copy the code on the site to add the PPA... The issue here is if we can do it with Elementary... I am thinking it is based on Ubuntu 12.04? hmm, that is an issue...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pywapi-devel/ppa

sudo apt-get update

This should give you the things updated and ready to add what you need. Now just try installing Weather-indicator again.

sudo apt-get install indicator-weather

Tell me if that works, if not we will have to try another code.

robert49
January 28th, 2014, 08:37 AM
no it's not working :(, it doesn't show the temperature,it's just the icon up there :(

RadicaX
January 28th, 2014, 08:51 AM
The icon is up though?! Okay one moment... This is problematic, at least it is coming up... Let us try checking for something.

cd /bin/indicator-weather

ls

If the top one messes up.

cd /bin

ls

And please post input here, keep it open too, we are going to do a bit of digging to see if anything is there if it does open.

robert49
January 28th, 2014, 08:59 AM
robert@Robert-Computer:~$ cd /bin/ indicator-weatherrobert@Robert-Computer:/bin$ ls
bash fgrep nc.openbsd setfacl
bunzip2 findmnt netcat setfont
busybox fuser netstat setupcon
bzcat fusermount nisdomainname sh
bzcmp getfacl ntfs-3g sh.distrib
bzdiff grep ntfs-3g.probe sleep
bzegrep gunzip ntfs-3g.secaudit ss
bzexe gzexe ntfs-3g.usermap static-sh
bzfgrep gzip ntfscat stty
bzgrep hostname ntfsck su
bzip2 init-checkconf ntfscluster sync
bzip2recover initctl2dot ntfscmp tailf
bzless ip ntfsdecrypt tar
bzmore kbd_mode ntfsdump_logfile tempfile
cat kill ntfsfix touch
chacl less ntfsinfo true
chgrp lessecho ntfsls ulockmgr_server
chmod lessfile ntfsmftalloc umount
chown lesskey ntfsmove uname
chvt lesspipe ntfstruncate uncompress
cp ln ntfswipe unicode_start
cpio loadkeys open vdir
dash login openvt vmmouse_detect
date lowntfs-3g pidof which
dbus-cleanup-sockets ls ping whiptail
dbus-daemon lsblk ping6 ypdomainname
dbus-uuidgen lsmod plymouth zcat
dd mkdir plymouth-upstart-bridge zcmp
df mknod ps zdiff
dir mktemp pwd zegrep
dmesg more rbash zfgrep
dnsdomainname mount readlink zforce
domainname mountpoint rm zgrep
dumpkeys mt rmdir zless
echo mt-gnu rnano zmore
egrep mv running-in-container znew
false nano run-parts
fgconsole nc sed
robert@Robert-Computer:/bin$

RadicaX
January 28th, 2014, 09:10 AM
It is not in there at all.

That is not good. did some searching around on another forums though. (the elementary forums.) And found something of interest, a guy who was using the My-weather-indicator had it working, but someone else could not get it to work, turns out the kernal was not working right with it, and by reverting to an older kernal, it all of a sudden worked.

I wonder if that would work for this too?

http://elementaryforum.org/forum/support-assistance/3rd-party-application/4578-my-weather-indicator

Hmm... besides not finding the packages, which is beyond me why I am not seeing any of them on there at all regardless where we look, you could try this and see if it works. I do not know how you would try an older kernal though. you might need to make a post about that asking for help. (I would explain this problem too.) and see what they have to say. I am very sorry I am not of more help, I will keep looking into it to see if I can figure it out too though.

robert49
January 28th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Ok then, thank you for your effort! If it is from the kernel i do believe the elementary OS team is looking into this problem. After all this is an WIP project and I should expect improvements. The rest of the applets work, applets like system monitor, rss feed. I will look into reverting to a older version of the kernel. I will keep you posted :P

RadicaX
January 28th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Okay, please do, if you find a fix before I or anyone else, this would benefit anyone else looking for the fix and that come along this post.

P.S. You are welcome by the way, sorry I was not of more help. I will keep you informed on anything I find out.