PDA

View Full Version : I think the guy might have thought he was going to lose his job..!

jason.b.c
July 21st, 2006, 07:36 AM
I started the other thread down there about dumping windows because i got a new modem , Now i would like to share with all of you a little story entitled:

"My trip to Best Buy the other day"...

Well when i set out the other day to get my new modem i thought that maybe i should take a few ubuntu CD's (ubuntu dapper and kubuntu) to try out on some of their demonstration computers that they have set up , Their is one computer i had particularly in mind though HP media center 7590n (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/product_detail.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=computers&category=desktops/media_center/ready_to_ship&subcat1=rts&catLevel=4&product_code=EX333AA%23ABA) , I want that badly.! , They had one their at best buy when i arrived so after standing around a bit and also after being asked a half-a-dozen times: "Are you finding everything ok.?" i was set , So i took one last look around before i tried to see if ubuntu would work on some of those computers ( i was worried because i thought maybe i would be asked to leave the store for messing around with their computers ) ...

So anyway i took my Kubuntu CD out of my pocket and proceeded to do it , I removed the disk from the sleeve , pushed the eject button and sat the disk on the tray , I pushed the button again and the tray closed , Then i grabbed a-hold of the mouse and rrestarted the computer.! , To my amazement the words: "Uncompressing Linux" popped up on the screen ., I thought "hell yes" "it's going to work"..

So after a few minutes i had kubuntu up and running and i began fooling around with it to see what would work and what wouldn't work, Now it was along about this time that i had "the guy in question" a best buy sales rep show up up asking me "are you finding everything ok?" only he didn't quite make it through his whole question.!!

That guy gave me the wierdest look i had ever seen.!! , He looked at me , looked at the computer , then back at me and asked: "whatcha got there.?" "thats not windows.!" "what is that.?"

ME: Oh this.? It's called kubuntu linux.!

HIM: linux huh.? ah crap.! Umm sir.! I hate to sound like this but, We can't have customers coming in here and installing anything on these demo models other than what we offer..!

ME: Oh it didn't install.! , It's running straight of this disk in here ( pointed to CD drive )

HIM: OK.!? OK.! Well that looks preaty cool.! , but , why does it only run from the disk.? or can you choose to install it.?

ME: Oh you can install it.! Oh sure.! no problem.! See the reason why i'm doing this is because i wanted to see if it would work on some of these neewer computers..

Him: Why.? Does it only work on certain one's or something.?

Me: Well i dunno.! See i'm a member of this support forum that offers free help for this operating system and read in there that one member had a computer just like this ( almost same model from what i remember ) and he couldn't get this system working on it..!
so thats what i'm doing , I would hate to have to buy one of these new and get all the way home with it only to find out the hard way that linux won't boot on it.!!!

HIM: Oh Ok.! Makes sense then, Let me ask you this then ( he was holding the disk sleeve and reading the back cover ) "why would i want this installed in my computer"..??

ME: Well.! umm, You might find this really hard to believe but "It dosen't get viruses" "like you would expect to see in a windows system" , I mean i think it can still get some types of worm viruses but "not trojans" not like windows does..!!!

HIM: Really..!!! It dosen't..!! Wow cool..

ME: No because see , What kind of system do you think is the most vulnerable to that kind of stuff..???

HIM: Well i would have to say windows..!!! Then there's also the Mac systems out there..I think their affected a little as well...?!

ME: Yea see and even if it did get something in it, that infection still wouldn't have that much affect that the whole system would crash or just really mess things up like it does in windows or whatever, because you see, it's built totally differant ..! , It dosen't have or use .EXE's and .BAT's and .COM's like windows does and i think thats what most viruses look for when they get in your system..!

HIM: Cool.! So can i still use my virus and spyware software in it..??? Or does it have it's own stuff to do that..???

ME: Well you can.! , Their's a program that you can download for free called Wine that can run alot of windows based software and programs but you wouldn't really need any kind of virus scanners, Although you can get those free as well.! , have you ever heard of Bitdefender or Avast or maybe Clam-AV those are the one's you would use..

HIM: Yea i've heard of Avast.., It's good..!! What about a firewall...??? Can i have one of those as well..??

ME: Yup..! Free too.!! You can download what's called Firestarter., Thats the ubuntu "well linux!" firewall for it..As far as i know it should work in this version as well..

HIM: Oh Ok.. Well i have to say thats preaty cool...What about internet ..??? Can i use highspeed like a broadband DSL connection..?

ME: Yup..! Although the internal dial-up modems don't work too well in it.! , Actually i think they don't work at all i guess... But external one's do..!! That's why i came here today, to buy this.. ( i held up the modem box )

HIM: Ok , So why are you able to get all this stuff free..?? ( meaning anyone ) Did you have to buy this..?? Or did you get it free as well..?? ( the disk )

ME: No i get them in the mail .! Free, They'll send'em to you if you ask for them...( then he reads the part on the back cover where it say's that )...
You can have that one.! , It's ok , I've got about a Ka-gillian of them at home...See , I've got this one as well ( i pulled dapper out of my pocket ) it's just a little bit differant...Differant version..

HIM: Ok , Thank you sir..!!

So anyway, it was about that time that another store salesman showed up and said: "Oh is that the new one" Wich kind of blew me away..! and i said "yes"...It's called kubuntu..

So both of the salesmen were now talking to me about it..., I told the other guy alot of the same things that i told the first guy and even offered him the dapper disk i had.., Wich he took and thanked me for :D I even told them the address to the forum here and a few other addresses where they could get more information ( which the one guy wrote down on a little notepad he had ) , So anyway , in conclusion they both thanked me for talking and told me they had to be going back at it now and walked away , I made my way up to the front of the store to pay for my new modem.., As i left the store i had that feeling like " i did the right thing " .... :D

Well i hope you've enjoyed reading all this.... , Wow my fingers hurt now.... :mrgreen:

ubuntu27
July 21st, 2006, 07:48 AM
Hope they will join us :D :KS :KS

Skia_42
July 21st, 2006, 07:53 AM
Haha thats cool. I have to admit though, I have many bad experiences with HP computers, I have found that the hardware is always non-compatable but maybe i am just crazy. would anyone else mind sharing any experiences with HP computers?

jason.b.c
July 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM
Haha thats cool. I have to admit though, I have many bad experiences with HP computers, I have found that the hardware is always non-compatable but maybe i am just crazy. would anyone else mind sharing any experiences with HP computers?

It works on mine..!!! , HP Vectra VL ,701 mhz intel , 256 mb's ram , Matrox g200 agp....

Thirsteh
July 21st, 2006, 08:06 AM
Interesting story :)

Although, to comment on the whole virus immunity misconception thing;

The one most important thing about Linux that makes it "immune" to viruses is that there are no processes that can be accessed from the outside that have root priveleges, so no exploit could be used to gain access over the user's system, however, when it comes to ".bat", ".com", ".exe" files, shell scripts or binaries are equally dangerous to those on a Windows machine. As soon as any hostile binary is specifically given your root password, your system is as insecure as a Windows machine would typically be.

The reason why I'm writing all of this is not to act like a wise-***, or spout information you already know, but to once again mention one of the reasons I love Ubuntu;

There is no root.

(Yes I know, there is sudo, but what it means is that no malicious program could succeed unless it was specifically written with Ubuntu or Ubuntu's sudo setup in mind, still..)

jason.b.c
July 21st, 2006, 08:17 AM
(Yes I know, there is sudo, but what it means is that no malicious program could succeed unless it was specifically written with Ubuntu or Ubuntu's sudo setup in mind, still..)

Yea thats what i meant...

See , There was a little more to the story, like i told him about if commands like that were written that "that" could be concidered a virus and how those commands would need specific permissions to even work in the first place "Root Privaleges"...

But yea, I know about all that...:-D

Like i said , My fingers were starting to hurt and cramp up.....Ha HA

richbarna
July 21st, 2006, 08:28 AM
Cool story, I would have thought that most people who work in computer stores would know about Linux. Maybe not.

djheadley
July 21st, 2006, 08:48 AM
I use an HP Pavilion 7855 (1GHz, 512 RAM, 2 40GB HDDs, CDRW, DVD). Soon to try out a wireless keyboard and optical mouse combo. :-)

Adrenal
July 21st, 2006, 09:26 AM
Apperently McDonalds tend to welcome linux with open arms...

rowanparker
July 21st, 2006, 10:06 AM
But McDonalds don't sell computers?

nalmeth
July 21st, 2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks jason.b.c

cool story!

Yeah, I've heard of people getting kicked out of the store for running a liveCD, good thing it didn't turn out like that.

woedend
July 21st, 2006, 10:14 AM

ROFL...I was thinking the exact same thing.

rowanparker
July 21st, 2006, 10:51 AM
ROFL...I was thinking the exact same thing.
Did I miss a joke or something about McDonalds?

sapo
July 21st, 2006, 01:35 PM
Did I miss a joke or something about McDonalds?
Its not a joke, one guy posted here on the forums some time ago, that he left some Ubuntu cds on a McDonalds shop, and the manager said it would be Ok to distribute them to the customers, and even installed it on his notebook.

Brunellus
July 21st, 2006, 03:45 PM
the salesguys usually have close to zero clue about the actual technical details of whatever they're selling.

Although the store has a justifiable security concern... The guy 'trying out' the new laptop with a livecd and a thumb drive could just as well be doing something malicious.

ComplexNumber
July 21st, 2006, 03:50 PM
the salesguys usually have close to zero clue about the actual technical details of whatever they're selling. that is just so true. most of them are trained to just talk the talk.
when i left school, i got a job as a double glazing salesmen(yeah, i know. so cliched ;)) whilst i was studying for my A levels. i didn't know the first thing about the product i was selling,. and they didn't tell me anything. all i had to do was to learn a script and the cleverly worded answers to common questions thats customers often ask.

bruce89
July 21st, 2006, 03:54 PM
Mabye asking before running a LiveCD might be a good idea?

Brunellus
July 21st, 2006, 03:57 PM
that is just so true. most of them are trained to just talk the talk.
when i left school, i got a job as a double glazing salesmen(yeah, i know. so cliched ;)) whilst i was studying for my A levels. i didn't know the first thing about the product i was selling,. and they didn't tell me anything. all i had to do was to learn a script and the cleverly worded answers to common questions thats customers often ask.
the fact that double-glazing needs to be *sold* in the UK tells you something.

Lord Illidan
July 21st, 2006, 03:59 PM
Cool story, I would have thought that most people who work in computer stores would know about Linux. Maybe not.

Ha... I wish.

I often ask if they know of any Linux drivers for products I buy.. Blank face, no answer.

One doesn't have to be a geek to sell computers. Heck one doesn't even have to be a geek to use them!

bruce89
July 21st, 2006, 04:08 PM

We quite often get salesmen appearing on our doorstep asking us if we want to buy double glazing/building work.

If you say "We don't need it", they throw a brick through the window.

ComplexNumber
July 21st, 2006, 04:08 PM
please explain?

bruce89
July 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM
please explain?

No, I don't really get it either.

ComplexNumber
July 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM
is that what they do in scotland? :p

bruce89
July 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM
is that what they do in scotland? :p

No, but salesmen can be a bit pushy.

Brunellus
July 21st, 2006, 04:18 PM
please explain?
double-glazing and energy-efficient construction has been taken for granted in most other advanced industrialized economies....even in America!...but evidently not in the UK.

It amazes me that people have to be *sold* on such a thing. But then again, the UK is one of the few places I've been which has a "winter" where real estate listings still routinely tout "central heating" as a "feature."

Don't get me wrong--I love the UK. I lived there for four of the best years of my life thus far. But certain quirks about the country still amaze me.

ComplexNumber
July 21st, 2006, 04:27 PM
double-glazing and energy-efficient construction has been taken for granted in most other advanced industrialized economies....even in America!...but evidently not in the UK.

It amazes me that people have to be *sold* on such a thing. But then again, the UK is one of the few places I've been which has a "winter" where real estate listings still routinely tout "central heating" as a "feature."

Don't get me wrong--I love the UK. I lived there for four of the best years of my life thus far. But certain quirks about the country still amaze me.
well, you're not the only one that feels that way about the many quirks. this country has been going down the pan in nearly every conceivable way in the last 20 years.

Lord Illidan
July 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM
well, you're not the only one that feels that way about the many quirks. this country has been going down the pan in nearly every conceivable way in the last 20 years.

All too true...you couldn't even make it to the semi finals...:twisted:

rowanparker
July 21st, 2006, 04:34 PM
Its not a joke, one guy posted here on the forums some time ago, that he left some Ubuntu cds on a McDonalds shop, and the manager said it would be Ok to distribute them to the customers, and even installed it on his notebook.

Thanks, now I get it. ](*,)

Quite Funny!

Rowan.

aysiu
July 21st, 2006, 04:37 PM
I don't think you can assume people in Best Buy know anything. I have met one or two knowledgeable folks there, but they appeared to be coincidentally knowledgeable--not through training or screening during the hiring process.

Many, many employees at Best Buy have no clue about the products they sell.

Lord Illidan
July 21st, 2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think you can assume people in Best Buy know anything. I have met one or two knowledgeable folks there, but they appeared to be coincidentally knowledgeable--not through training or screening during the hiring process.

I guess their training is more about consumer interaction.. How they can seduce the consumers to buy the most expensive products, and come back again!

bruce89
July 21st, 2006, 04:44 PM
If anyone replies to this, I'll not reply, as I can't be bothered.

All too true...you couldn't even make it to the semi finals...:twisted:

Not strictly true, that was England, Scotland didn't even get into the cup at all, as we are rubbish at football at the moment.

I don't think the USA is the epitome of energy efficiency somehow.

I don't have central heating, it isn't that cold in the winter here. I see your point though.

Yes, it is getting too close to the US.

Brunellus
July 21st, 2006, 04:59 PM
My point on double-glazing and energy efficiency is one of surprise: in precisely the place where one might have thought that market forces would have encouraged or compelled greater efficiency in home heating...precisely the opposite has happened.

It isn't that American households are on the whole more energy-efficient than British households, because that's obviously not the case. But again, you wonder: why is it that Britons seem so unwilling, generally, to adopt double-glazing and household insulation? Why would an otherwise energy-frugal society not take those steps?

Again, it's wonder and amazement, more than anything.

bruce89
July 21st, 2006, 05:20 PM
It isn't that American households are on the whole more energy-efficient than British households, because that's obviously not the case. But again, you wonder: why is it that Britons seem so unwilling, generally, to adopt double-glazing and household insulation? Why would an otherwise energy-frugal society not take those steps?

When was it you were here, as it is no longer like that.

The fact is that a lot of the buildings here are a lot older than in the USA (which has only been around for 200 years), so double glazing and central heating are not always fitted. My house was built in 1971, and it had neither.

aysiu
July 21st, 2006, 05:33 PM
Our apartment building was built in the 1920s and has had only a few cosmetic makeovers since. Currently, three windows in our apartment do not have double-glazing.

rowanparker
July 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
My point on double-glazing and energy efficiency is one of surprise: in precisely the place where one might have thought that market forces would have encouraged or compelled greater efficiency in home heating...precisely the opposite has happened.

Again, it's wonder and amazement, more than anything.

In my village there is a house, which dates back 500 years or something, and putting double glazing in that house would be a no go. It would spoil that house a lot, with tacky double glazed windows instead of nice old wooden (wooden frames not wooden windows) traditional ones.

Rowan.

Biltong (Dee)
July 21st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Aha!

Sorry, I had to Google the meaning of Double Glazing...

Not a bad idea, but can you open the windows in Summer?

(Oh man, this thread is so completely hijacked.:-D)

Skia_42
July 21st, 2006, 07:34 PM
Aha!

It'll come back to the original topic eventually...

jason.b.c
July 21st, 2006, 09:10 PM
Aha!

:D :-\" :lol: =D>

bruce89
July 21st, 2006, 09:36 PM

Of course, otherwise I would have died in the heatwave over the last week.

Lord Illidan
July 21st, 2006, 09:44 PM
Well...at least we now know that there exists a connection between Linux and double glazing...cool, no!

Biltong (Dee)
July 21st, 2006, 09:46 PM
Of course, otherwise I would have died in the heatwave over the last week.

Figured you kept them shut and switched on the air-conditioners O:)

GarethMB
July 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM

I don't think it's a bad as you make it sound. Most houses have DG, but despite this salesmen still try to sell it (even to houses with it).

lapsey
July 21st, 2006, 11:53 PM
We quite often get salesmen appearing on our doorstep asking us if we want to buy double glazing/building work.

Lucifiel
May 17th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Interesting how threads can make a dramatic change in direction. :D

Never heard of double-gazing but now I do. :p

Hmmm... *goes on a personal mission to double-glaze all the windows in her house*

Oh wait! I forgot something! :p It's summer all year round in Singapore. =P

macogw
May 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM
WTF is "double glazing"???

I asked before live-cd-ing my lappy. The "Geek Squad" (ha!) guy thought he'd have to re-install Windows...

I've been offered jobs at Best Buy a few different times after correcting the sales people, but always while I had a job. When I've tried to actually get a job there, I've failed the stupid computer personality test.

macogw
May 17th, 2007, 08:19 AM

Last June:
Me: do you have any laptops with an AMD Turion64 X2?
Salesguy: that's a desktop processor
Me: no it's not, it's AMD's newest laptop processor.
Salesguy: that desktop over there has it though
Me: that's an Athlon, not a Turion
Salesguy: oh....want a job?

ubuntu27
May 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM
I've been offered jobs at Best Buy a few different times after correcting the sales people, but always while I had a job. When I've tried to actually get a job there, I've failed the stupid computer personality test.

Computer Personality Test??
What kind of test is that? How do you pass it an dhwo do you fail in it?

MOS95B
May 18th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Great story! Not sure I'd have the cajones to try that, though.

Best Buy is not a computer store. Unfortunately for some, they may be the only option for computers and parts in a particular area. They started as an appliance store, and just kept expanding. They still run the corporation as an appliance store, eve if their ads make it seem otherwise.

Computer Personality Test??
What kind of test is that? How do you pass it an dhwo do you fail in it?

A personality test you take on the computer. Lots of employers are using them now. "If you caught another employee stealing would you A. xxx B.xxx C.xxx" and so on

juxtaposed
May 18th, 2007, 11:41 PM
would anyone else mind sharing any experiences with HP computers?

Ubuntu works perfect on my Pavillion a1129n, Debian just needed xorg reconfigured to get decent resolutions (fine for me after I found out what I had to do, but not for a newbie).

I'd never heard of it either.

About the story, that's really good. Even though the people hadn't heard of linux they still had an open mind :)

floke
May 18th, 2007, 11:54 PM
I sold DG over the phone (going through the phone book) a while back; and it's amazing how many people will book a sales appointment for it over the phone!

oogitsmelol
May 18th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I cant say i have ever been offered a job there, but they did tell me that I was not qualified to work there. Can't figure it out since I know two people who currently work there, and neither one of them know the first thing about what they are selling... I hate the personality test. Its the reason I am currently unemployed. I dont lie and I fail... I lie, guess what... I fail. Anyone know the answers?

gashcr
May 19th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Anyone know the answers?

Lie selectively. Try to figure out what they want you to answer, and answer based on that... It never fails, I've got lots of jobs thanks to that!!

kelean
May 19th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I cant say i have ever been offered a job there, but they did tell me that I was not qualified to work there. Can't figure it out since I know two people who currently work there, and neither one of them know the first thing about what they are selling... I hate the personality test. Its the reason I am currently unemployed. I dont lie and I fail... I lie, guess what... I fail. Anyone know the answers?

The answers are whatever the employer wants to hear.

deepwave
May 19th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Hehehe... Best Buy associates are funny. I remember my friend arguing over what kind of laptop a web developer would need. My friend insisted on getting a dual core. But the associate said, that a single core would be enough. And the argument continued until the associate said: "Trust me, it will run fine. I know I am an Oracle DBA!" Since an Oracle DBA easily could earn around $100,000 USD a year, why would said sales man work for Best Buy.

So yes Best Buy associates aren't all too well versed in technology. But don't tell anyone that. ;-)

ice60
May 19th, 2007, 04:30 AM
http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/forum/index2.php?DATEIN=tpc_qmwnrmfvl_1162569090

:lolflag:

Tundro Walker
May 19th, 2007, 01:18 PM
The funny part is how you had to "sneak it in", like you're trying to sell drugs at Best Buy or something. LOL!

"I'm sorry sir, you're not allowed to install that." (priceless)

"Look, son, do you buy a car without test driving it?"

"No."

"Well, I'm test driving this car before I buy it."

"Yeah, but you put in a totally new engine before doing so!"

LOL!

Simran
May 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
hehe, nice story :) at least they were willing to learn and understand ubuntu, i have met some store officials who think your some sort of crackhead when you talk about linux.