PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Action buttons misbehave after Saucy upgrade

nonkreon
January 24th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Hello all,

I upgraded to Saucy a few days ago since Raring becomes history on Monday (RIP), by changing the sources.list versions to saucy (I know it's unofficial and not supported, etc.) . Everything went flawlessly except only for one thing:
Ever since the upgrade the action-buttons shutdown and restart only log me out, and I'm back at login screen. The command
sudo poweroff succeeds in shutting down the system, however.

Any idea why this happens and on how to fix it? I have scanned askubuntu and launchpad for a similar issue but had no luck :<. I don't have any PPA's enabled thus everything I can think of should be the stock version, proposed and backports repo is enabled if that helps.

Thanks for your help!
Regards

egeezer
January 24th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Did you try right-click on the dropdown under your name (top right) and look at Properties? You might still be able to set it up there. (Not sure, myself - I tried 13.10 for a while but went back to 12.04. I can't recall if I used that or the good old sudo shutdown now -h -P)

nonkreon
January 24th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Did you try right-click on the dropdown under your name (top right) and look at Properties? You might still be able to set it up there. (Not sure, myself - I tried 13.10 for a while but went back to 12.04. I can't recall if I used that or the good old sudo shutdown now -h -P)I tried removing and readding action-buttons but that didn't help :<. I don't recall ever having such item, could not find it in addable panel items. But the "Log Out" dialog at the Applications menu acts the same way as well.

nonkreon
January 26th, 2014, 01:07 PM
OK, I got this:

Today I tried suspending but that didn't do anything at all. Then I tried to suspend once more and got the error:

GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnkn own: The name org.freedesktop.systemd1 was not provided by any .service files

A quick search led me to this bug report on launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1196752) and saw installing systemd-shim solved the filers problem, and realised I didn't have systemd-shim installed! Installing it solved my problem.