PDA

View Full Version : Get Set For Internet Download Speed Of 1.4 Terabits Per Second

SurfaceUnits
January 24th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Get Set For Internet Download Speed Of 1.4 Terabits Per Second http://efytimes.com/e1/images/efy_news.gif

Earlier, tests on faster methods of transmitting data have been conducted using the complex laser technology, but this is the first test conducted in real world conditions, outside the testing labs.

Friday, January 24, 2014: In what can be termed as the biggest breakthrough in the world of internet, scientists in UK have achieved fastest ever broadband speed of 1.4 terabits per second. This speed is enough to transfer 44 high-definition movies at once.

http://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=127837

mips
January 24th, 2014, 01:53 PM
This speed is enough to transfer 44 high-definition movies at once.

You can also transfer 44 hi-def movies simultaneously at 1Mb/s, it's just gonna take a LOT longer :biggrin:

tgalati4
January 25th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Yes, and 44 movies that are all crap. I will take one good movie to 44 bad ones. But yes, that is an impressive development. So when are the 16K TV's coming out?

QIII
January 25th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I suspect this means that ISPs will be able to move a lot more traffic on their infrastructure, but this doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get that kid of speed in from the curb.

This is about 1,400 times the capacity of your gigabit LAN.

LillyDragon
January 25th, 2014, 04:53 AM
Which would be especially nice if ISPs in urban areas were able to use this. Some ISPs in my local area oversubscribe their userbase, and nobody really gets the advertised speeds they pay for; something like this would resolve that easily.

SurfaceUnits
January 25th, 2014, 05:20 AM
I've got AT&T fibre running across my front yard with a pair of white and orange eye sores in the corner but I will never get any benefit from it

PJs Ronin
January 25th, 2014, 10:56 AM
This was a specially rigged backhaul test. You're not going to get those speeds at a domestic premises for the foreseeable future.

QIII
January 25th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I've got AT&T fibre running across my front yard with a pair of white and orange eye sores in the corner but I will never get any benefit from it

I got AT&T fiber across my front yard -- which had just been newly sodded. Fortunately, they also took out my cable and destroyed the sprinkler system. Seems they took a pretty liberal measurement of the utility easement the irrigation system was not in and forgot to call anyone else about other utilities.

Buntu Bunny
January 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Welcome to to the Ubuntu Forums, SurfaceUnits.

Get Set For Internet Download Speed Of 1.4 Terabits Per Second

Sweet. But by the time it's affordable to me, the speed will be up to a gazillion TB per second.

AFAIK, there's no benefit to AT&T regardless. Even their fastest speed is slow and expensive!

SurfaceUnits
January 25th, 2014, 05:50 PM
I got AT&T fiber across my front yard -- which had just been newly sodded. Fortunately, they also took out my cable and destroyed the sprinkler system. Seems they took a pretty liberal measurement of the utility easement the irrigation system was not in and forgot to call anyone else about other utilities.

One of my customers called the sewer company to come and dig up the ground wire to his house so that everything inside would fry. They did a good job of it too

MoebusNet
January 26th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I'd be happy if I could find an ISP that offered faster than dial-up speeds where I am :(

[OFF-TOPIC] Has anyone ever noticed that communications providers always advertise maximum available speed but not minimum guaranteed speed? That is like the electric company bragging that your house power will be up to 230 volts AC, but no guaranteed minimum voltage... Maybe we should regulate communications companies as utilities with minimum performance standards! [/OFF-TOPIC]

CharlesA
January 26th, 2014, 07:46 PM
I'd be happy if I could find an ISP that offered faster than dial-up speeds where I am :(

[OFF-TOPIC] Has anyone ever noticed that communications providers always advertise maximum available speed but not minimum guaranteed speed? That is like the electric company bragging that your house power will be up to 230 volts AC, but no guaranteed minimum voltage... Maybe we should regulate communications companies as utilities with minimum performance standards! [/OFF-TOPIC]

That is so they can throttle the speeds or overcommit resources and still be within the contracted speeds.