PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problems with the updates manager after installing Adobe Reader

mrayo
January 23rd, 2014, 04:06 AM
Hi everyone,
I am very concerned because I can not get the updates since I installed Adobe Reader, my laptop shows me this message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The package system is broken

Check if you are using third party repositories. If so disable them, since they are a common source of problems.
Furthermore run the following command in a Terminal: apt-get install -f

It said: An error occurred, please run Package Manager from the right click of the menu or apt-get in a terminal to see what is wrong. The error message was: 'Error brokenCount >0' This usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

So when I go to the terminal and write apt-get the info that I get is :
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

What can I do?

Thanks for any help

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
January 23rd, 2014, 07:44 AM
That was a misleading error message. For any kind of 'buntu it should have said type in
sudo apt-get install -f, then press the [enter] key. It will ask for your password. Type that in and press the [enter] key again.

Anytime the system responds to a command by asking if you are root it means you need to prefix the command with sudo.

Anytime it refuses or fails to respond properly, even without some give-away like talking about root, it is worth trying. Generally anything that starts "apt-get" should probably start "sudo apt-get" on all 'buntus.

mrayo
January 30th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Hi there,
I did the sudo apt-get command and after I run the update manager it pops a window saying that the program is broken. I really do not know what to do!!!
Any suggestions, please!!!

Bucky Ball
January 30th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Post that error message back here or we can't do much.

Bit off topic, but just wondering if there's a specific reason you are using Adobe Reader? There's a perfectly good PDF reader already installed by default; Evince document viewer.

mrayo
February 3rd, 2014, 03:03 AM
Hi,
here is the message.
I like to use adobe reader because I can do snapshots from papers or books if I have to give a class, I have checked Evince but up to now I can not do the same.

Thanks

/home/mrayo/Pictures/Screenshot from 2014-01-22 22:28:43.png

Bucky Ball
February 3rd, 2014, 04:11 AM
The crash report (bottom window) has 'Show Details' in the bottom left corner. Open that, wait for it to think, then post whatever the report says here.

mrayo
February 3rd, 2014, 04:59 AM
Ok,
here it is

mrayo
February 3rd, 2014, 05:01 AM
Hi,
do you think that if I uninstalled acrobat reader should be enough to solve the problem?
Thanks

Bucky Ball
February 3rd, 2014, 05:03 AM
It might. If you installed using a PPA simply untick the PPA in software sources, uninstall acro, then run an update.

mrayo
June 17th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Hi,
I am here again, I still have the same problem I can not upgrade ubuntu because the errors that I have posted previously.
I tried to uninstall adobe reader but I can not do it. Here are the messages that I get from the terminal. I am very concerned because I starting to have errors in ubuntu performance which I suspect is because the missing upgrades.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terminal:
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
acroread : Depends: acroread-bin
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
mrayo@mrayo-Lenovo-IdeaPad-S400-Touch:~$ sudo apt-get autoremove
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
mrayo@mrayo-Lenovo-IdeaPad-S400-Touch:~$ apt-get -f install
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
mrayo@mrayo-Lenovo-IdeaPad-S400-Touch:~$ locate adoreader
mrayo@mrayo-Lenovo-IdeaPad-S400-Touch:~$ locate adobereader
/home/mrayo/.cache/software-center/piston-helper/rec.ubuntu.com,api,1.0,recommend_app,adobereader-enu,,e9925bf1b7f267f4512f9636f297a26d
/home/mrayo/.cache/software-center/rnrclient/reviews.ubuntu.com,reviews,api,1.0,reviews,filter, en,any,any,any,adobereader-enu,page,1,helpful,,0abda0a111fde8942cbc5297044675 8f
/var/lib/dpkg/info/adobereader-enu.copyright
/var/lib/dpkg/info/adobereader-enu.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/adobereader-enu.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/adobereader-enu.prerm
mrayo@mrayo-Lenovo-IdeaPad-S400-Touch:~$ adobereader
adobereader: command not found
mrayo@mrayo-Lenovo-IdeaPad-S400-Touch:~$ sudo apt-get purge adobereader-enu
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
mrayo@mrayo-Lenovo-IdeaPad-S400-Touch:~$ locate adoreader

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anybody can help me I will appreciate it!!

Thanks