PDA

View Full Version : Anyway I can contribute ?

linuxyogi
January 22nd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Hi,

I am a casual desktop user. I don't know computer languages. Also I am not yet employed.

But since I got plenty of time I want to contribute to the linux community simply coz they have given me an awesome free OS.

Is there any way I can pay back the community ?

mörgæs
January 22nd, 2014, 01:09 PM
A good beginning is what you do now: Posting here and helping people.
Another task is installing Buntu for your friends, informing them that Windows XP is soon running out of support.

d-cosner
January 22nd, 2014, 01:36 PM
You can also participate in development if you like. I like installing Ubuntu for my friends when they get tired of me fixing their infected Windows installs. I recently installed Ubuntu 13.10 for a friend at work that was constantly having problems with his grand kids destroying his Windows 7 install. The guy loved 13.10 and has apparently been spreading the word! People have been coming up and asking me if I will install Ubuntu on their computers too!

Most people think that they are just stuck with Windows and have no idea how far Linux distributions have come. People think that Linux is hard to learn to use when in reality it is just point and click, simple. Another thing I notice is people seem to associate the elegance of Unity is comparable to the Mac OS minus the huge price tag and that is a good thing! I feel that Android devices have given people a very positive view about trying Linux for the first time.

There are lots of ways that you can give back to the community if you are inclined to do so.

ssam
January 22nd, 2014, 02:22 PM
Have a look at http://community.ubuntu.com/contribute/