PDA

View Full Version : Smallest hardware Footprint Testimonials

Omnios
July 21st, 2006, 05:03 AM
I originaly thought of posting this in 6.06 hardware but the Cafe might be a better place for it.

Anyways this post is a Testimonial to the smallest Hardware status that you have run Ubuntu or Linux on or even other distros. This may also be a important reference for future viewers.

The smallest machine I have Had Debian run on was a P2-350 with 265megs of ram that ran both Gnome and KDE rather well but a tad sluggish though not all that slower than win98 on it. Anyways I tred to install different versions of Ubuntu on it but had a hardware conflict which I think was caused by the kernel version.

SO whats the smallest you have run Ubuntu on.
How little ram did you manage to get it to work

nalmeth
July 21st, 2006, 06:11 AM
I would have to say my xbox.

733 mghz (I think?)
64 megs of RAM

xDamn Small Linux (xDSL)
GentooX

KDE sucks with little RAM :(
But XFCE + fluxbox rule! :D

K.Mandla
July 21st, 2006, 06:39 AM
233Mhz PII with 128Mb and an Ubuntu server install with the core X and XFCE elements, plus Swiftfox. Not too sluggish, but not very practical either. Video memory was the real problem: only 2Mb made for very slow redraws.

teet
July 21st, 2006, 07:21 AM
I'm pretty sure I had a server install of Ubuntu (or maybe it was Debian 3.1) running on my old 200 Mhz Pentium w/MMX, 64 MB of RAM, 2 GB HDD.

XFCE and Fluxbox both ran fine on the hardware, but web browsing was a real chore. Firefox took ages to load and was sluggish at best at rendering pages (you can pretty much forget about tabbed browsing). It wasn't so much the processing speed...rather it was the fact that I only had 64 mb of RAM. Dillo ran absolutely fantastic on it though, but as you may know, Dillo "screws up" most web pages. If I had 128 mb of RAM, I'm confident that it would have at least been a usable setup.

I ended up scrapping that install and putting on a version of Puppy Linux. It uses a stripped down version of the Mozilla browser and actually was fairly quick at loading and rendering pages.

-teet