PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which download should I choose?

bobmac
January 21st, 2014, 01:20 AM
Folks,
My ISP has a mirror that I can use to download ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I have a new system with Windows 7 (64bit AMD processor). My problem is that there appears to be a heap of options, so which one do I choose?

Also many of them have extensions that I'm a bit wary of as I don't know what to do to actually install the choice.

On top of that, I would like, if possible, to make a cd of the download.

I'd be grateful if anyone could advise me on the way to go about doing these things.

Regards,

Bob

bertan2
January 21st, 2014, 01:33 AM
Can you burn it to DVD rather than CD? The regular download is too large to fit on a CD. If you have a DVD burner, choose ubuntu-12.04.3-dvd-amd64.iso If you only have a CD burner, choose ubuntu-12.04.3-desktop-amd64+mac.iso

bobmac
January 21st, 2014, 02:44 AM
Bertran2
Many thanks for your tips.
I have downloaded the .iso file. Do I now simply copy that file to a DVD? Or is there something else that I have to do first.
Also, once I have copied it do I then simply use the DVD to install ubuntu?

Regards,
Bob

oldos2er
January 21st, 2014, 03:43 AM
Copying isn't enough, you need to burn the *.iso file as an image to a DVD or USB: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

bobmac
January 21st, 2014, 04:08 AM
Ann,
Many thanks for the info.
I have burned the file to a DVD which shows several folders containing many files.
Being a dimwit, I don't know what to do next.

Can you please help?

Regards,

Bob

mastablasta
January 21st, 2014, 08:27 AM
insert DVD, then re-boot computer. there should be an option for boot menu or to enter BIOS. choose either and select the DVD as device to boot the computer from. then select to try out the system first to see if everything works. it's called a live session and the whole system will be loaded from DVD into RAM so it might take some time fo rit to boot. but the good thing is it doesn't do any changed to current OS (Win7). just a note here if you use file manager or partition manager and use it to delete files and such those changes will be made. but by defualt most applications will vanish into thin air never leaving a trace on reboot. so if you install soemthign it wont' be there when you reboot etc.

what do you actually want to do with the Ubuntu operating system? install it? just try it out?

furthermore is computer is relatively new then latest 13.10 image is easier to use.
12.04 is from april 2012, but it did get some kernel upgrades (hardware enablement stack) in the 12.04.3 version for newer computer. i am not sure if that is running by default though.

by the way this is how the install looks like (site has other interesting resources): http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing