PDA

View Full Version : Chalk up three more converts

K.Mandla
July 21st, 2006, 03:28 AM
Daniel, who wants to avoid the MySpace hack. Took home a Dapper Desktop CD.
Dave, who wants to run his office computer without the licensing hassles. Took home a pressed ShipIt CD.
Dave's 80-plus-year-old uncle, who has a fragment of the CoolWWWSearch spyware permanently lodged in his Dimension 4400. Sharing the ShipIt CD with Dave.

Of course, my technical support obligations just tripled, but hey ... it's a chance to learn, right? :mrgreen:

TravisNewman
July 21st, 2006, 03:41 AM
You'll find the tech support much easier since it's not the same ol' Windows problems. I find that I'll go a lot farther with Linux users than I will with Windows users, which may be unfair, but I want them to stick with Linux.

dasunst3r
July 21st, 2006, 03:52 AM
If you are looking to recruit converts, I would suggest looking for people who like to take things apart to see how they work. I have a friend who's like that, and he is one happy convert! He was surprised that his 700 MHz computer can play video!

GStubbs43
July 21st, 2006, 04:08 AM
How will he avoid a Myspace hack? Do you mean to be able to use Myspace on a school/college network? I don't think Linux would help, since it is part of the network, not Windows, I don't really know about that for sure and I'm not sure what hack you are talking about, just a note...:rolleyes:

Skia_42
July 21st, 2006, 04:22 AM
Nice job K. Mandla, I convinced a friend of mine and an old math teacher (Algebra II) to switch to Ubuntu. I know what you mean by increased obligations for support...

K.Mandla
July 21st, 2006, 04:44 AM
How will he avoid a Myspace hack? Do you mean to be able to use Myspace on a school/college network?
No, apparently there was a MySpace banner ad hack that triggered the WMF exploit on an un-updated machine.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/07/myspace_ad_served_adware_to_mo.html

I shouldn't be calling it a "hack;" I started doing that while I was discussing it with a friend who wasn't as computer-savvy. #-o

Either way, Daniel wasn't interested in taking chances.