PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do the application need to reinstall at home directory?

ruwan2
January 20th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Hi,
Due to unrecoverable problems of my Ubuntu 12.04, 32 bit, I want to reinstall the OS. The home directory is in a separate partition. There are several applications was installed under the home directory. I would like to ask whether these applications can run after Ubuntu reinstallation? Or, some simple steps can make it possible.

Thanks,

Following is about keeping home directory I found on line:

If your /home is on a separate partition, start the installer - pick manual at the partition stage.

Select the existing / partition - Edit partition - Use as ext4,format and Mountpoint - / then save/close that window

Select the existing /home partition - Edit partition - Use as whatever it was previously, DO NOT FORMAT and Mountpoint /home - save and close that window

Check that the only partition that is going to be formatted is the existing / partition.

Carry on - that will install over the existing installation and use the old /home.

Use the same username though.

ian-weisser
January 20th, 2014, 01:33 AM
If you really installed applications in your /home, then you shouldn't need to reinstall those applications.
Installing executable applications to your /home is unusual.
/home usually contains only your personal data and settings.