PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu 12.04.03 will not boot/will not detect wireless connections

mister_t2
January 19th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Hello! The upshot: I have installed but cannot boot Xubuntu, and I also cannot detect wireless internet connections from within any live Linux session I have tried on this computer. Details:

I am attempting to set up a dual-boot scenario with Windows 8.1 (preinstalled) and Xubuntu 12.04.03 (64-bit), on a Toshiba laptop with an AMD Quad-core processor and UEFI. After a few false starts and many tutorial articles I completed Xubuntu's installation process by running it in live mode with no error messages or problems.

I then tried to add Xubuntu to the boot menu with EasyBCD 2.2, but when I try to load Xubuntu instead of Windows it says that "the application or operating system could not be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors." It says the problem file is \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr and the status is 0xc000007b. Windows still loads and runs fine.

I tried to fix this by running Boot-Repair from a live DVD, but it said that I needed to connect to the internet before continuing the process, or my computer will be rendered unbootable -- and unfortunately I cannot find any wireless connections from inside the live Boot-Repair session (I have the same connectivity issue from the live session of Xubuntu).

I have seen several articles and forum posts that describe similar/related issues, but I just can't get over the hump here. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

mister_t2
January 20th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Fixed the boot issue by 'converting Ubuntu into legacy mode' as described on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI. Boot-Repair returns an error message when I do this, and in order to switch between Windows and Xubuntu I have to go into the UEFI settings when I boot the computer, but it's a totally workable solution. Still figuring out the internet connectivity side but I'll mark this thread solved and post another connectivity-related question later if necessary.