PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] [PPC G4/G5] Just a warm Lubuntu welcome and a command prompt

arthur2
January 17th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Hi there,

First post, so please forgive all unforgivables...
Decided to revamp my old Macs, getting fed up with OSX so Ubuntu seemed a good plan.
After a bit of reading Lubuntu 12.04 LTS seemed to be the way to go.
Hardware involved:

iBook G4 1GHz/1.5Gb RAM,
iMac G3 500MHz/1.5GHz RAM,
PowerMac G4 Cube 450 MHz /1.5Gb,
PowerMac G4 Cube 1.7GHz (Sonnet upgrade)/1.28Gb,
PowerMac G4 MDD 1.25GHz DP/2Gb
PowerMac G5 1.8GHz DP/8Gb

The iBook installed like a dream, I flew through the install and everything but the screen resolution worked just fine. It just does not appear in my LAN.
From the machines that followed only the G5 installed to a somewhat working system (without sound, without Wifi, no network).
The G3 and the 450MHz Cube froze halfway (also in video=ofonly mode).
The 1.7GHz Cube and the 1.25GHz DP MDD both installed all the way to the welcome to Lubuntu command prompt (>Lubuntu@Lubuntu~$).
But no GUI and no way (for a noob) to get one running. I googled every term I could come up with, but I failed to find the command that would get me
the GUI from a command line (just landed on pages that explained the reverse procedure...).

I have added, swapped and removed memory without result. I used the alternate and the regular versions of Ubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu.
I reburned CDs and DVDs with identical images to make sure it wasn't a dodgy CD. I tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 (that I found in a download folder).
I swapped displays (Apple and other brands) and hard disks with identical results on the machine involved.

How do I make a PPC of above mentioned specs run smoothly (or at all)?
How do I get a GUI when I end up at a CLI after installation?
I have a G5 2.5GHz Quad and an Intell Xeon Quad 2.8GHz waiting, would I have more luck with those?

Thank you for your help,

Arthur (NL)

dan47
January 23rd, 2014, 11:45 PM
Holà
lubuntu-13.10-desktop-powerpc runs pretty good on my old powerbook 12" /1,33 GHz PowerPC G4 / 1,256 Gb RAM.
The only issue is with sound.
Wifi and network are fine.

Dan (FR)