PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting No root file system defined

hebdave
January 16th, 2014, 03:12 PM
High can you see post below as this one was to complicated.

hebdave
January 16th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Hi I am trying to install linux ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I started with the unetbootin wizard to do this which I downloaded onto my PC instead of putting it on a memory key. The linux ubuntu installer will not let me go past the second screen saying 'no root file system is defined , please correct this from partitioning menu '. I have one partition only just windows C which unetbootin got put onto with windows. However although I have not installed linux ubuntu yet it is already showing dual boot with windows and unetbootin on start up.

Does the above error that does not let me install ubuntu mean I have to create a new file system 'as in a new partition' or is it saying I should split the partition up so somehow ? The linux installer will not let me alter anything on the screen in the way of partitions. So I think I need to do something manually which is why I am asking. I am not really looking to dual boot just to install ubuntu alongside windows 7 which is the next screen I needed to get to in the installer. I cannot get that far of course due to the problem. I have read up on this but cannot seem to work it out exactly. I have read Bucky balls answer below but it is probably not what I am currently needing as I cannot install linux at all yet. I read the links Bucky gave too. Note I did put the live cd version from unetbootin straight onto my hard drive rather than the memory key and wonder if that is part of the problem also.

Many thanks.

Bucky Ball
January 16th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Threads merged.

Please do not post duplicate threads. It dilutes community effort and reduces your chances of getting help. Your support request should be in this sub-forum. If you think your posts are too confusing simply edit them rather than double-posting about the same issue.

Thanks.

I presume you are attempting to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dual+boot+windows+ubuntu+12.04

This one has pictures:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/05/17/how-to-dual-boot-ubuntu-12-04-and-windows-7/

Good luck and post back with further issues. ;)

hebdave
January 16th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Hi Bucky I edited my first post entry. Thanks for the advice.