PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Laptop install

frog3764
January 15th, 2014, 12:26 AM
Greetings to the Group - I want to install Ubuntu 12.4 to my 10" laptop running XP. Since the laptop has no cd drive, so what is the easiet way to get Ubuntu installed on it? Can I copy the CD to the USB and install it that way from my regular pc? All input is appreciated.

Jim

erhollowell
January 15th, 2014, 01:09 AM
You can make your USB drive bootable and run from it. You might have to go into the bios and make usb drive higher on the boot priority if you do it this way. I have never done it this way but many do. Maybe they can fill you in on the details.

frog3764
January 15th, 2014, 02:01 AM
Hey ER - Do I need the USB bootable for XP or U? I'm going to make the laptop running XP dual with U. I would want to be able to run the U installer from the USB to get it on the laptop. I don't want to run U from the USB, but only to get it installed. Thanks for your input.

Jim

devine.steve
January 15th, 2014, 02:03 AM
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

devine.steve
January 15th, 2014, 02:08 AM
Also you need to shrink the partition so you have somewhere to install Ubuntu to. I suggest you make a good backup of your XP instance beforehand.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoResizeWindowsPartitions - Looks like you have to use GParted from within the Live USB instance.

Mark Phelps
January 15th, 2014, 03:12 PM
It's been a while, but from what I remember, 12.04 does not fit on a CD, it's too big; instead, it has to be burned to a DVD.

Since you're running MS Windows, I would recommend that you check out PendriveLinux.com. I've used it often to create a bootable USB from Linux distro ISO image files.

frog3764
January 17th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Hey Group - thanks for your help, but nothing worked. I'm trying to get U on my game pc with XP, and add it to my Asus laptop with XP. I've used a couple of programs to make the flash bootable and loaded the U ISO but neither pc would boot from it even though I've changed the boot priority in the Bios screen. So I'm stuck for now.

Jim

mörgæs
January 17th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Also you need to shrink the partition so you have somewhere to install Ubuntu to. I suggest you make a good backup of your XP instance beforehand.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoResizeWindowsPartitions - Looks like you have to use GParted from within the Live USB instance.

Please don't.
Windows itself should be used for defragging and shrinking Windows partitions.

frog3764
January 17th, 2014, 11:06 AM
I need to get the pc's to boot from the flash drive first. The rest of the problems I'll deal with in time, but right now I can't get the boot right. I also thought that U would create the right size partition for itself.

Jim

mikewhatever
January 17th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Please don't.
Windows itself should be used for defragging and shrinking Windows partitions.

Don't think XP can do the shrinking.

slooksterpsv
January 17th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Make sure the drive is formatted as Fat32 as NTFS won't work. I use Unetbootin and download the desktop iso and have it take care of the rest.