PDA

View Full Version : Good editor for Perl?If any?

zxcvbnm
July 20th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I've been using gedit for coding in Perl, and I was wondering if there was a better editor for that specific Language.

Thanks

Engnome
July 21st, 2006, 11:18 AM
I've tried many editors for perl in my search for one that supports my indent style. However there is no such thing as a language specific editor that is perl only, either they support syntax highlightning for your language or they don't. Today I simply use gedit. go into preferrences and you can turn on stuff like: highlight current line, line numbers, hightlight matching bracket and automatic indentation (that kinde supports my style :)). Scythe is good, it didn't support my style but I liked it, try it!

geco
July 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM
what about EMACS??

Hezekiah
July 21st, 2006, 10:16 PM
It all depends on how you want your editor structured - I do, and have done, a large amount of Perl programming and in my experience I have found the following editors to be the best:

1. (g)vim - Or probably emacs too, really, but vim is the one I know. It's syntax highlighting is fantastic, it's quick, and in general lets me work more efficiently. BUT, if you don't know it and aren't interested in spending a significant amount of time learning the editor, then it probably isn't worth it. Also, with VIM7 you get (somewhat) smart completion of variable and routine names.

2. geany - a nice, fairly generic programming editor. Good syntax highlighting, and an overall nice setup. I haven't used this one much, but the bit of time I did spend with it impressed me. I don't know if this has an Ubuntu deb package for the newest version, but if you want I can upload one somewhere.

3. EPIC - this is actually a plugin for Eclipse, which is a rather huge application framework for Java. EPIC seems to work reasonably well, but it's relatively slow unless you have a beefy computer to run it on, and the versions available directly on their website are old and don't work very well.

There is also a commercial application called Komodo which I have used, but in all honesty I didn't like it very much, at least not enough to justify spending any money on it.

Good luck! And honestly, if you don't already know emacs and/or vim, I'd recommend trying Geany. It seems to be a very nice editor.