PDA

View Full Version : From a Beginner to Coding Expert

rplogesrao
January 13th, 2014, 06:47 AM
My Ambition is to be a Software Engineer. Which can be including Computer Softwares or Mobile Appications engineering. But after my high school, I have to contribute my self into other field (not IT related).

Now, I am pretty done with my Primary career and soon. So next, i am thinking to achieve my ambition. I want to learn everything regarding computers, softwares, coding and so on. I need your help guys. My plan is to learn by my self first (through online). I dont want to spend my Money on courses first. I want to try my best to learn by my self.

My question is, Is it possible? Can I learn everything through online? If Yes, from where should I begin from?

Thank You.

cracker89
January 13th, 2014, 07:51 AM
My Ambition is to be a Software Engineer. Which can be including Computer Softwares or Mobile Appications engineering. But after my high school, I have to contribute my self into other field (not IT related).
Nice.

Now, I am pretty done with my Primary career and soon. So next, i am thinking to achieve my ambition. I want to learn everything regarding computers, softwares, coding and so on. I need your help guys. My plan is to learn by my self first (through online).
You can. Ofcourse you can. The internet is a thriving hub of knowledge. You just need to catalogue it in a sensible manner and see where it goes from there. Get your hands on the syllabus of a nice institution which teaches a course that you want to study, and get on it.. you might need to buy a few books tho...

I dont want to spend my Money on courses first. I want to try my best to learn by my self.
you can learn it by yourself, but money mate, moneys gotta be spent. atleast a little.

My question is, Is it possible? Can I learn everything through online? If Yes, from where should I begin from?
Ofcourse its possible. Almost everything newton knew was self taught. Almost. I learned the guitar entirely from free online courses and youtube.

Thank You.

Dont thank me. Thank the internet. and all the best man. respect.

fantasyleague0629
January 13th, 2014, 07:56 AM
check this article out.

http://lifehacker.com/plan-your-free-online-education-at-lifehacker-u-spring-1493571968#tech

grahammechanical
January 13th, 2014, 04:09 PM
You are just in time to benefit from what is happening here:

http://developer.ubuntu.com/

http://developer.ubuntu.com/2013/12/ubuntu-app-developer-week-call-for-papers/

This is a week chock-full of tutorial sessions showing you how to use different aspects of the Ubuntu SDK across QML, HTML5, Scopes and other projects for building powerful, elegant, converged apps and content that runs across phone, tablet, and desktop.

The entire week will be streamed live using Google+ Hangouts in which session leaders will provide their tutorials using a combination of video and screen-sharing with embedded discussion so viewers can share tips and tricks and help each other out. This will provide a rich menu of deeply interactive content that will be archived and available for future generations of developers to benefit from. We will integrate much of this content into developer.ubuntu.com (http://developer.ubuntu.com/) as part of our documentation and services to help our growing developer community.

rplogesrao
January 13th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Nice.

You can. Ofcourse you can. The internet is a thriving hub of knowledge. You just need to catalogue it in a sensible manner and see where it goes from there. Get your hands on the syllabus of a nice institution which teaches a course that you want to study, and get on it.. you might need to buy a few books tho...

you can learn it by yourself, but money mate, moneys gotta be spent. atleast a little.

Ofcourse its possible. Almost everything newton knew was self taught. Almost. I learned the guitar entirely from free online courses and youtube.

Dont thank me. Thank the internet. and all the best man. respect.

Thank You So Much ! You make me be more confident and move on with my way. Thanks again. Your advice is much appreciated :)

rplogesrao
January 13th, 2014, 05:53 PM
check this article out.

http://lifehacker.com/plan-your-free-online-education-at-lifehacker-u-spring-1493571968#tech

Wow. Thanks man. Very appreciated. This is what I need to begin. Thanks again :)

rplogesrao
January 13th, 2014, 05:54 PM
You are just in time to benefit from what is happening here:

http://developer.ubuntu.com/

http://developer.ubuntu.com/2013/12/ubuntu-app-developer-week-call-for-papers/

I missed it ! This course was last year. I should join it. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Hope I join next time :)

Audiosurfer
January 14th, 2014, 04:26 AM
I missed it ! This course was last year. I should join it. Anyway, thanks for sharing. Hope I join next time :)
"From 20-25th January 2014 we will be running our next Ubuntu App Developer Week." So yeah the only thing that was last year was the post about it, you have time before the actual thing happens. And they say they'll record and archive the sessions so even if you can't see it live you can still benefit

kyme
January 16th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Yes offcourse, all you have to do is always be inspired and start thinking a self project so that you will develop your skills.

Don_Stahl
January 16th, 2014, 03:48 PM
So what are people's thoughts on a first programming language?

Python is often touted as a powerful and relatively intuitive language. (I've dabbled and like it very much.) There are free IDEs for Linux; I like Stani's python editor.
C++ seems very popular among developers, and may be the most marketable skill. Or am I wrong?
If one uses MS Office products, visual basic for applications is a very useful skill to have. And it's led a lot of people like me to think they can code when they really can't... :oops:
Java is also very popular, and is used for Android and iOS apps. I haven't dabbled with Java in years.

What are some other suggestions?

TheFu
January 17th, 2014, 12:28 AM
How to become a software developer: http://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/10/19/how-to-learn-to-program

Knowing everything about computers is impossible for any single person. It is just too complex for anyone to know "everything", but gaining a good overview of hardware and software is possible for everyone. It is the details that take time.

TheFu
January 17th, 2014, 12:38 AM
So what are people's thoughts on a first programming language?

Python is often touted as a powerful and relatively intuitive language. (I've dabbled and like it very much.) There are free IDEs for Linux; I like Stani's python editor.
C++ seems very popular among developers, and may be the most marketable skill. Or am I wrong?
If one uses MS Office products, visual basic for applications is a very useful skill to have. And it's led a lot of people like me to think they can code when they really can't... :oops:
Java is also very popular, and is used for Android and iOS apps. I haven't dabbled with Java in years.

What are some other suggestions?

Python first. Useful, complete, object oriented, forces good style and gets things done relatively quickly when runtime performance isn't needed, but developer efficiency matters most.

C 2nd. C is the language that almost every other language is written in. It is cross platform and low-level enough to understand how computers work. If you are not using malloc() and free(), then you are using a language that is too high-level. Understanding how to manually manage memory is a key to understanding how computers work. If you aren't manually managing memory and do it enough to get it down for every situation, you do not understand computers.

After that, learn whatever languages you prefer for fun or work. Learn the limitations too. There is no best language for everyone or every need. More and more developer efficiency overrides code efficiency. Nothing wrong with that, but there is a price to be paid in hardware, processing time, and often costs to hosting plans.

I learned about 20 different languages that nobody uses anywhere in the world anymore before learning C then C++. Each of those other languages taught me much about specialization - the great things and the terrible limitations of specialized languages. Then I went to the other extreme. Wanted cross-platform code over all else. That means code that ran on over 12 different platforms, including Mac and Windows. That teaches some extremely valuable lessons and had altered the way I write code even for 1 platform. I would never use a proprietary language and write extremely defensive code. I want my code to die during development, not when in production. Doesn't matter which language.

And one clarification - Java is not used on iOS. ObjectiveC is. A modified Java is used on Android. It is different enough that I consider it a different language - highly specialized.

Ruby is fun. When I was coding in cross-platform C++ all day, on the weekends I would write Ruby and Perl. Ruby for enjoyment and programs that didn't need to be fast or hosted online. Perl for webapps that needed to be fast like C and efficient with my hosting plans. I think perl is about 3x faster than ruby. There is an overhead for pure OO languages. Using some OO in Perl is good, fast, efficient, but using a full perl OO framework helps us understand the overhead in Java and Ruby that cannot be avoided due to language design.

R seems like a fun language, but is just isn't relevant to the sort of programming that I do.

Learning something like Haskell can be a real eye opener to people with procedural backgrounds.

To see more languages than most people can imagine, check out http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code

slooksterpsv
January 17th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Visual Basic is powerful and people can learn to code, just not as well as someone with C++ knowledge.

Javascript is useful.
C# it's java-like.
Ruby is supposed to be really good, very well built, but similar to how python works.
Not sure how other's like FORTRAN, D, or that are.

ian-weisser
January 17th, 2014, 01:27 AM
+1 for TheFu's advice.
Most of Ubuntu is written in C, shell, and Python. So those are good places to start for your first few years of learning.

cracker89
January 18th, 2014, 10:52 AM
c# worked for me... tho, yes, havent dabbed at it for ages.. but i think python is the future

Don_Stahl
January 19th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Very good info from The Fu. Thanks for the clarification on iOS and Android!