PDA

View Full Version : black screen and grub issues

rangedenemy
January 12th, 2014, 12:48 AM
I've been trying to dual boot ubuntu 13.10 on my laptop with windows 8. I have found this tutorial: https://coderwall.com/p/ydbldg to solve the issue I have been having with a black screen on installation after the grub page. I can get to the grub editor by hitting e, but once there I seem to be incapable of exiting and booting using either f10 or ctrl-c. Has anyone else had similar issues?

tfrue
January 12th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Yes, a lot of people on these forums have.

Did you do the boot-repair part? Try that because that's what I was going to suggest you do first.

rangedenemy
January 12th, 2014, 03:43 PM
I have tried that yes, however whenever I do so I receive an error telling me that sudo is not a valid command. If I remove sudo I get a command that add-apt-repository is not valid, and if I get rid of that there's really no point anyway

ubfan1
January 12th, 2014, 07:13 PM
Did you try Ctrl-x instead of the ctrl-c to boot the edited grub commands?

rangedenemy
January 12th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I've gotten the original issue now, turns out my f keys are all multifunction, which I really should have realized earlier. Now however I am having trouble installing the boot repair, as the terminal in grub refuses to recognize basic commands as valid.

Bashing-om
January 12th, 2014, 08:13 PM
rangedenemy; Hi !

Insure that your keyboard is properly configured :
http://www.howtoforge.com/changing-language-and-keyboard-layout-on-various-linux-distributions
If problems continue, we will look at authorization and permissions for you as the "user".

What I think

and my little bit to help

tfrue
January 12th, 2014, 09:29 PM
While reading over the link you posted again, it's terrible. For one, you would want to see the Window's partition when you are installing Ubuntu, and I don't know why she edited the boot script. You may need to re-install grub,

It's possible that you installed grub on the BIOS/MBR partition rather than the UEFI/GPT partition that Win 8 uses, which is bad. You can live boot LinuxSecureRemix (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LinuxSecureRemix) and have boot-repair available without downloading it.

Also, when you live boot, type:

[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
to see if you booted BIOS or UEFI which will help us troubleshoot your problems.

Thanks,
Chris

rangedenemy
January 13th, 2014, 02:14 AM
so I tried doing a live boot from there, but experienced the same issue as before, essentially once I leave grub the screen just goes black and stays that way. I managed to get through that issue with the instructions posted above, but now I can't boot without getting to a black screen again.

Bashing-om
January 13th, 2014, 02:40 AM
rangedenemy; Progress ?

Can you now edit the grub boot parameter ?
If you are using Nvidia or ATI graphics cards, perhaps "nomodeset" boot parameter (or other) may help;
See:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

A black screen is often a graphics driver issue.

where there are solutions there are no problems

rangedenemy
January 13th, 2014, 02:45 AM
I've got an i7 core with intel 4400 graphics card. I tried to modify the parameters the same way I did the first time, to get ubuntu to install. Using the parameters from the tutorial I managed to boot into a live boot version, which seemed to work just fine. However when I tried to get to boot-repair from the terminal there the repository wasn't found. Do I need internet access to get to boot repair? Because there do not seem to be wifi drivers for my laptop atm, and I do not have an ethernet port

Bashing-om
January 13th, 2014, 03:02 AM
rangedenemy; Well ;

Yeah, in order to obtain "boot-repair" one has to use the internet. The tool is not available by default.
Many times drivers for wifi must be installed after the installation is completed. To get those drivers without the internet is a real pain - and beyond my paygrade - but, can be done [ d/l the driver on another computer, transfer the driver to usb thumb drive, copy to the install, and then one may install the driver]

However, even to do that one must be able to boot the system.
What procedure are you applying now to attempt to boot the installed system ?

try'n to help

rangedenemy
January 13th, 2014, 03:06 AM
I really appreciate the help. Right now I am sort of at a stuck point. My overall goal is to get the boot repair tool, as the instructions I followed to get this far have that as the next step. I've figured out that I can do that through a live boot. However it seems the only wifi drivers I have available are for 12.04, so I think I'm going to have to downgrade at the moment. So ideally once that is done I can transfer over the wifi drivers and get everything running for real. In the meantime I have a perfectly good installation of windows, so I have no urgent need for ubuntu, I just prefer it's environment for work.

Bashing-om
January 13th, 2014, 03:57 AM
rangedenemy; True,

One can download and install boot-repair from the live boot, there is a huge thread on it use here on the forum.

Holler back at us, as you have the need. Like I said, getting WIFI up and working without 'net connection is a real bear, but can be done.

best wishes

tfrue
January 13th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Yes, you need internet connection when doing "sudo apt-get install" commands. And that sucks, I didn't know computers were made without them...So are you able to hop onto a different computer with internet, download LinuxRescueRemix and use unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to install the .iso to USB or CD? The LinuxRescueRemix comes with boot-repair installed so no internet connection would be required on the laptop but you would need to post the URL.