PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Desktop icons overlap with taskbar

Previous1
January 11th, 2014, 07:48 PM
After boot, desktop icons overlap with the top taskbar. Opening the taskbar preferences sets it back to the correct position; I haven't found specifics to this, but the "reset" may be similar to an earlier issue (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2194400).

A workaround may be to start/stop the preferences at boot, but I was hoping to solve the underlying issue (especially when it's a recent one). Using Xubuntu 12.04 with XFCE 4.8

Toz
January 11th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Looks like struts may be disabled (though I'm not sure why open the taskbar preferences resets it). What does the following command return?

xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv | grep struts
...it will display whether struts are enabled and what setting its at.

ajgreeny
January 11th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Have you got a selection tick in the "Don't reserve space on borders" in your panel Preferences -> Display tab?

Toz
January 11th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Have you got a selection tick in the "Don't reserve space on borders" in your panel Preferences -> Display tab?

I don't believe 4.8 has this option visible in the preferences dialog. To manage this setting you had to use the hidden struts property.
I don't have a 4.8 install handy to check.

Previous1
January 12th, 2014, 06:11 AM
xf-conf didn't return an entry, and indeed, I don't have an option for "Don't reserve space on borders". I've tried adding "disable-struts" and setting it to "false", but it still needs a refresh.

Toz
January 12th, 2014, 07:29 AM
I've tried adding "disable-struts" and setting it to "false", but it still needs a refresh.
How did you try adding it? Which channel/property did you use?

Does clearing your saved sessions cache help? To clear your sessions cache (in 4.8), delete the ~/.cache/sessions directory while not logged in (from the first virtual console - Ctrl+Alt+F1).

Previous1
January 12th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I've used this command: xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -p /panels/panel-0/disable-struts -n -t bool -s false

Clearing sessions didn't help but, oddly enough, changing the theme from Bluebird to Greybird did..

Thanks for the help.

ajgreeny
January 12th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Another alternative is to use the ppa for xfce 4.10 which works faultlessly in 12.04
https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/xfce-4.10?field.series_filter=precise
You will then find that you have the option for reserving space on borders. Sorry, I forgot I was on 4.10, and didn't really notice you are using 4.8.