PDA

View Full Version : Should Ubuntu work on Advent Torino X700

zacharyi123
January 11th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I have previously asked a question asking if ubuntu works on the device ( Ubuntu on Advent Torino X700 (http://askubuntu.com/questions/403520/ubuntu-on-advent-torino-x700) ), but no one seems to have tried it, ADVENT will not try it for me, and I have no local shop where I can try it, I have no choice but to ask 'should it work'.

I said previously: I am intested in buying the Advent Torino X700. I do not like windows 8 and I already use Ubuntu so I would want to install Ubuntu desktop onto it.
As no one as tried ubuntu on it, advent won't tell me and I cannot test it myself, is there anything about its hardware that will prevent ubuntu from working on it? Here is hardware info: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/advent-torino-x700-15-6-laptop-21646965-pdt.html#longDesc
Does all the mention hardware work with Ubuntu? Will I need any drivers for things like integrated speakers or wifi? Is there anything that jumps out that won't work with ubuntu?
I guess if you think it'll work with Ubuntu, I'll get it, and if it doesn't work, I'll have to return it.

grahammechanical
January 11th, 2014, 06:35 PM
It comes with Windows 8. Browse the sections on this forum and see the problems that some are having and work out what to do to avoid the problems that may arise. See if you can find out how the hard disk is partitioned.

Regards.

zacharyi123
January 11th, 2014, 06:38 PM
It comes with Windows 8. Browse the sections on this forum and see the problems that some are having and work out what to do to avoid the problems that may arise. See if you can find out how the hard disk is partitioned.

Regards.

I know that I may have to disable secure boot. But will it work if a disable secure boot? Is there anything in the hardware that may prevent ubuntu from working?

grahammechanical
January 11th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Ubuntu can install without disabling secure boot. Ubuntu has a kernel that has been signed in accordance with Microsoft's protocol for secure boot on machines with Windows 8 pre-installed. Now, Fast Boot is something else and I have read that it does need to be turned off. I was just pointing out that the biggest obstacle that I see is Windows 8. If I understand your situation correctly, you cannot try a Ubuntu live session because you do not have physical access to the machine. Which is a shame.

Possible problem areas? Wireless adapter (will need to install a driver, may be): Video adapter ( will need to install a proprietary video driver, may be); Track pad (some have problems with track pads); Camera (unknown quantity by me).

This is the advantage of running a live session. Which you cannot do.

Regards.

zacharyi123
January 11th, 2014, 07:08 PM
What should I do? Is the only risk is that I will have to install drivers? Is there a risk that it won't work at all? I can install a wireless driver through I wired internet connection. When I have the device, I'll be able to identify the wireless adapter and find a linux driver for it. What sort of trackpad issues and how would I solve them? What won't I be able to do when I don't have a proprietary video driver and how will I get one?