PDA

View Full Version : Hey everybody, Help me make up my mind, "Should I"..??

jason.b.c
July 20th, 2006, 10:18 PM
I've been putting serious thought into just totally whiping windows out of my hard drive and starting over with just Ubuntu Dapper on one partition and Kubuntu on another one ( maybe some other little systems as well )....

I'm getting really sick and tired of this older windows system breaking down on me and craping out all the time at it's convenience.."It's old..! and worn out.!"

Now that i've got an external modem ( Creative modem blaster v.92 external ) (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=7&subcategory=40&product=258) that i just got yesterday i can now finally get on the internet with ubuntu.! ( wich i tried last night sucessfully )..

I really don't think i need windows anymore.? , Although i do play games in it..

Can i still have/use Doom collectors edition , Free-doom2 , Saturday night speedway , Demolition Champions , among others in ubuntu/kubuntu..??

I know all about Wine and Dos-emu, I'm just worried that i won't be able to get things working like i want to..

Please help me make up my mind , Should i just go for it..???? And say: "Goodbye" to Windows..!

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 10:26 PM
The Doom games should work, not so sure about the others, though.

YourSurrogateGod
July 20th, 2006, 10:28 PM
As a fan of Linux, I'd advise you to not erase your NTFS partition. With that partition you'll always have the windows option if the need arises (I do.)

croak77
July 20th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I would just dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. If you paid for Windows you might as well keep it around. You might need it later.

jason.b.c
July 20th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I would just dual boot Windows and Ubuntu. If you paid for Windows you might as well keep it around. You might need it later.

Nah, I got windows free on this computer , A friend gave me this computer about a year ago although i didn't get the windows 2000 disk along with it..:-D

guine
July 20th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Ive deleted my windows partition and havent missed it at all but the only non-linux game i play is warcraft 3 and that works great in cedega. If you do get rid or windows I wouldnt install ubuntu and kubuntu on seperate partitions because you can just install ubuntu and then install kde and use both gnome and kde on one partition so that you have more disk space for anything else you want to do.

John.Michael.Kane
July 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM
jason.b.c your best bet is to make sure everything you need, and use as hardware goes all work with kubunt/ubuntu before erasing windows. this means any digital cam's printer/scaners any and all usb items you may have use for. if your going linux only you need to test all hardware you will be using under linux. you have to make sure that the software in the repos will allow you to do everything you need not just games.

YourSurrogateGod
July 20th, 2006, 11:39 PM
jason.b.c your best bet is to make sure everything you need, and use as hardware goes all work with kubunt/ubuntu before erasing windows. this means any digital cam's printer/scaners any and all usb items you may have use for. if your going linux only you need to test all hardware you will be using under linux. you have to make sure that the software in the repos will allow you to do everything you need not just games.
True. If one is desperate to get rid of Windows, that would be the correct thing to do.

nalmeth
July 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Give'er
:mrgreen:

YourSurrogateGod
July 21st, 2006, 01:57 AM
True. If one is desperate to get rid of Windows, that would be the correct thing to do.
But then, if a new game comes out (or other piece of software that you want/need) and it runs only on Windows, then that wouldn't be the best thing in the long-run. I'd recommend keeping it around. Also, just because you have it on your HD, doesn't mean that you have to use it (often.)

jason.b.c
July 21st, 2006, 04:54 AM
Hhhmmmm.? , Ah heck , Guess i'll keep it a little longer then.. Like i said before , I do have an external modem now so i can get on the internet with ubuntu...Yah....:KS :D

Stew2
July 21st, 2006, 05:10 AM
But then, if a new game comes out (or other piece of software that you want/need) and it runs only on Windows, then that wouldn't be the best thing in the long-run. I'd recommend keeping it around. Also, just because you have it on your HD, doesn't mean that you have to use it (often.)

I agree with YourSurrogateGod. It's not hurting anything by being there. You never know when you might need it. :)

Regards,
Stew2

Stew2
July 21st, 2006, 05:12 AM
Besides that, Windows 2000 was one of the better Windows OS's. It didn't have to phone home! :D

YourSurrogateGod
July 21st, 2006, 05:46 AM
Besides that, Windows 2000 was one of the better Windows OS's. It didn't have to phone home! :D
Yes, that was a pretty good OS. It's like a stripped down version of XP. No nonsense.