PDA

View Full Version : Windos stopped recognizing my brothers DVD player

nickle
July 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Recently I visited my brother who was showing me his new laptop. For some reason though windows stopped recognising his DVD player. F*** knows why; I have never used windows so I couldn't help him.
In any case I had an Ubuntu live CD and shoved it in. Hey presto everything was recognised. I asked him if I should install it, but he declined: "he doesn't know enough about computers to use linux":confused:. Dual boot sounded too complicated and he was afraid it might damage his warrenty. No idea if this is the case or not.
He is going to bring it off to have it "repaired":-k.

Well you can only try...!!!](*,)

wahman143
July 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM
He's sending it off for that? Man, that stinks...I'd tell him to go into the device manager and remove the entry for his DVD player. Then reboot, and *hopefully* ******* will reinstall the driver for it.

HTH,
W.

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 10:01 PM
What a bloody waste of money.

nickle
July 20th, 2006, 10:18 PM
What a bloody waste of money.
Yep...

Apparently he checked the driver with some kind of windos diagnostic tool and it seemed to be ok. A wondos friend of his suspected it was some kind of virus denial of services thing although his Norton anti-virus checker couldn't locate the issues.
Who knows...

I was not going to push Ubuntu on him if he did not want it, even though it would have served him well given the standard applications he uses...

Kernel Sanders
July 20th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Recently I visited my brother who was showing me his new laptop. For some reason though windows stopped recognising his DVD player. F*** knows why; I have never used windows so I couldn't help him.
In any case I had an Ubuntu live CD and shoved it in. Hey presto everything was recognised. I asked him if I should install it, but he declined: "he doesn't know enough about computers to use linux":confused:. Dual boot sounded too complicated and he was afraid it might damage his warrenty. No idea if this is the case or not.
He is going to bring it off to have it "repaired":-k.

Well you can only try...!!!](*,)

I take it he's using the default manufacturer XP install?

IMHO, OEM's have to take a great deal of responsibility for the amount of FUD spread about Windows XP. I have set up dozens of Windows XP boxes, and never had a problem/complaint. OEM set-ups on the other hand, BSOD, slow to a crawl, randomly "break" (as it appears in this case) etc..

Its for this reason I hope that Linux is NOT adopted by major OEM manufacturers. OEM's will screw with linux and make it unstable, and then the customers will turn around and blame Linux for their problems.

Apologies for the rant! *Sheepishly backs away* :mrgreen: