PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error updating

richard-smith7-gmail
January 10th, 2014, 03:07 AM
I'm trying to fix an issue in my daughter's computer. She's running Ubuntu 12.04LTS and when she tries to update she gets the error:

Could not initialize the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Unable to parse package file /var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise-updates_universe_binary-amd64_Packages (1), E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

I have no idea what that means or what I should do next.

Bashing-om
January 10th, 2014, 04:54 AM
richard-smith7-gmail; Hi !

Let's take an easier approach to the situation and "assume" that the control files have gotten corrupted and the package management system is in an inconsistent state.
This can do no harm, and maybe all to the good !
Try terminal codes:

sudo apt-get clean
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/*
sudo mkdir -pv /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

update rebuilds the index files that were removed. and upgrade will update all installed packages to the latest versions that are in the software repository.

Advise us of the results.

ain't nothing but a thing

richard-smith7-gmail
January 12th, 2014, 01:39 AM
Aw, thank you Bashing-om. It turns out she had another problem, which was that she couldn't save anything. Your suggestion fixed that too, so everything now works, she is happy and I look like a god.

I really appreciate your help.

Richard

Bashing-om
January 12th, 2014, 01:50 AM
richard-smith7-gmail; Hey outstanding,

We will never tell.

As the situation is now under control, please mark this thread as solved (1st post -> thread tools). This aids others seeking a similar solution and helps keep the forum tidy.

just keep on keep;n on

richard-smith7-gmail
January 22nd, 2014, 03:06 AM
Unfortunately, the error is back, or at least a similar one. I tried the same code you gave me, but it doesn't seem to work this time. This is the error:

Could not initialize the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_precise-security_main_binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'

Bashing-om
January 22nd, 2014, 04:21 AM
richard-smith7-gmail; Well !

I am kinda covered up presently, lemme get caught up and clear my faculties.
Will see what I can come up with,

later

as in later

Andrew_P
January 22nd, 2014, 06:00 PM
Let's take an easier approach to the situation and "assume" that the control files have gotten corrupted and the package management system is in an inconsistent state.
This can do no harm, and maybe all to the good !
Try terminal codes:

sudo apt-get clean
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/*
sudo mkdir -pv /var/lib/apt/lists/partial
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

update rebuilds the index files that were removed. and upgrade will update all installed packages to the latest versions that are in the software repository.

Advise us of the results.

I had a problem with Update Manager in Lucid Lynx (10.04) that was vexing me for months. After a problematic, interrupted software update, Update Manager always showed "Download size: 207 KB", even no packages remained to be downloaded. I executed the following two commands, restarting Update Manager after each one:

sudo apt-get clean

The first one didn't clear the condition, but when I started Update Manager after the second command, it reported "Your system is up-to-date" and it no longer showed the "Download size" message.:)

Thank you!!

UPDATE 2014-01-29
The problem came back. Update Manager still thinks there are 207 KB of updates to install, and at the last update it showed "2 of 3 packages selected", but there were only two packages in the update. The problem with the phantom package is obviously elsewhere, so I'll need to keep looking. At least I can temporarily clear the message using the above procedure.

Bashing-om
January 22nd, 2014, 06:58 PM
richard-smith7-gmail;

Still not to where I can give this proper attention,
Prod me with a "bump" to the thread if I should have a slip of mind or can not fine you in all my mess.

@ Andrew_P. Good deal !
That is an example of the forum at work !

all for 1 and one for all

richard-smith7-gmail
February 1st, 2014, 06:04 AM
still experiencing the same problem. I wonder whether there are disk errors that need fixing?

Bashing-om
February 1st, 2014, 09:02 PM
richard-smith7-gmail; Hey !

I am back ...

Let's see if we can lay a finger on what is not happening.
From square 1 and building up to where the problem may lie>
Post the out puts of terminal codes - Between code tags- :

lsb_release -a
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

code tag tutorial:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2171721&p=12776168#post12776168

still

ain't nothing but a thing