PDA

View Full Version : Who finds XGL on Ubuntu annoying?

darkpark
July 20th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I had XGL/Compiz working on my Ubuntu 6.06 box and the speedier desktop and all the transparency affects are very nice but overall XGL seems to be annoying due to many small glitches. When I have two overlapping windows I can't click on (switch to) the window that's in the background. I have to minimize the foreground windows than I can work in the other window.
I don't remember what other annoyances I'm having since I'm at work but there were enough of them that I switched back to 2D mode.

-Lucas

mattisking
July 20th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Yes, it's still very much a work in progress. Please remember this, however. You can disable most of those plugins. You don't need to run them all. I think in the end, the majority of users will run with just a small subset of the compiz plugins. You can edit this by using the gconf editor to change what plugins are loaded. Just remember that order matters and some don't work without others loaded.

matthew
July 20th, 2006, 09:45 PM
Since this is more of a discussion than a support request I'm going to move it to the Cafe.

Derek Djons
July 20th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Since XGL is an option which can be turned of, I don't find it annoying. I admit, also I love glam and transparency but not in XGL's current state.

fuscia
July 20th, 2006, 10:17 PM
seems like a goofy gimmick, to me.

darkpark
July 21st, 2006, 12:43 AM
I didn't uninstall any of the xgl/compiz component. I'm just not running it so that once some stable updates arrive I'll try XGL again.
Overall, I think XGL is neat but not yet practical.

John.Michael.Kane
July 21st, 2006, 12:47 AM
I don't find XGL/Compiz on Ubuntu annoying.I just turn down some of the options.

gruvsyco
July 21st, 2006, 12:56 AM
I like XGL on Ubuntu. Easier to install than on other Linuxes (IMO) and I haven't really had any stability issues. Compiz is running great too, I don't use the transparency stuff so much and I'm pretty much a one desktop guy so the spinning cube stuff while there, isn't used much.

ComplexNumber
July 21st, 2006, 01:14 AM
i used it and disabled it not long after. i can't see the appeal apart from a 2 minute 'wow moment'. then you realise that it just gets in the way and slows things down.

Engnome
July 21st, 2006, 01:22 AM
<rant>

Eye-candy is evil :evil: I have _never_ used it _any_ form. Just thinking about how many clock cycles will go to waste just because the meny's have to float smoothly drives me nuts, not to mention how much ram memory will be spent on icons in menys, it freaks me out. So yes i find XGL not just annoying, I'd stop using computers if I were forced to use it. My desktop is the simplest possible. The only useful feature is that you if you have transperency on you might be able to cram more windows into the same screen space. But I just bought a bigger, wider screen instead. (now i keep thinking how many extra clock cycle's it takes to scale up all those small images to fit into my monster resolution.) This is why I can't stand KDE, or even gnome with standard configurations.

</rant>

blitzd
July 21st, 2006, 01:32 AM
While I never got Xgl/Compiz set up successfully with Ubuntu I did get to experience it with a SLED distro I installed soon after and I didn't find it annoying at all. The desktop was much snappier, never had any problems with foreground/background windows that I recall, and overall it just seemed to improve my desktop experience. Maybe it was more the setup of your particular install that was annoying rather that Xgl/Compiz?

nalmeth
July 21st, 2006, 01:47 AM
I don't find anything annoying about it.

As mentioned, you can disable the plugins you don't need, and just use you computer like you normally would.

There are hand-fixes around the forums for bugs like openGL games not working with Compiz, etc.

There is definately buggyness, but all in all I think a lot of the features are really useful.

The biggest key in all this is the future of AIGLX providing a hardware-accelerated xserver!

erikpiper
July 21st, 2006, 01:53 AM
<rant>

Eye-candy is evil :evil: I have _never_ used it _any_ form. Just thinking about how many clock cycles will go to waste just because the meny's have to float smoothly drives me nuts, not to mention how much ram memory will be spent on icons in menys, it freaks me out. So yes i find XGL not just annoying, I'd stop using computers if I were forced to use it. My desktop is the simplest possible. The only useful feature is that you if you have transperency on you might be able to cram more windows into the same screen space. But I just bought a bigger, wider screen instead. (now i keep thinking how many extra clock cycle's it takes to scale up all those small images to fit into my monster resolution.) This is why I can't stand KDE, or even gnome with standard configurations.

</rant>

But what do you DO with the extra CPU cycles? Are you part of the ubuntu folding team?

ComplexNumber
July 21st, 2006, 01:55 AM
There are hand-fixes around the forums for bugs like openGL games not working with Compiz, etc. i found that. each game kept on trying to open to a full screen, but something was killing it off each time. when i killed transparancy and all other effects, the game worked as normal.

Anduu
July 21st, 2006, 02:25 AM
I don't understand...if you find it annoying don't use it.

blitzd
July 21st, 2006, 02:49 AM
<rant>

Eye-candy is evil :evil: I have _never_ used it _any_ form. ... My desktop is the simplest possible.</rant>

If "eye-candy" is so evil then why are you using a desktop environment at all? Isn't that "eye-candy"? Aren't you using it right now if you're reading this message with your "eye-candy" web browser? ;)

ComplexNumber
July 21st, 2006, 02:58 AM
If "eye-candy" is so evil then why are you using a desktop environment at all? Isn't that "eye-candy"? Aren't you using it right now if you're reading this message with your "eye-candy" web browser? ;)
i think he may be referring to unnecessary extras. its good to have a desktop that looks nice. but transparancy, wobbly windows, and other effects add nothing in the way of usability or attractiveness IMO. all it needs is a good eye for balance and colour by using the right wallpaper, theme, icons, etc.

adam.tropics
July 21st, 2006, 03:08 AM
I had XGL/Compiz working on my Ubuntu 6.06 box and the speedier desktop and all the transparency affects are very nice but overall XGL seems to be annoying due to many small glitches. When I have two overlapping windows I can't click on (switch to) the window that's in the background...

-Lucas

Ok, each to their own, but that was just a bug that could be fixed by removing a duplicate gconf setting, and was quickly fixed anyhow. Not difficult!

lazyd2
July 21st, 2006, 03:09 AM
As with everything, Compiz is a matter of choice. If you like it (and it works for you) you keep it....on the other hand if the sh*t hits the fan, you throw it to the bin and go on with your life...:p

Personally I love it:-({|=

nalmeth
July 21st, 2006, 03:11 AM
Agreed, wobbly windows don't give additional usability, but I think controllable transparancy has its uses.

What about the Arrange + View All Window's Feature? That is extremely useful!

I totally agree that a lot of compiz plugins serve little purpose than to please the eyes, and waste energy :oops: but we're using linux here! The finished product is going to be very customizable, and is already. You can disable what you don't need, and use your PC as you normally would, only with a snappier interface from hardware accelerated display.

All in all, that is the bottom line for me, all the sharks swimming around and 3D effects are all just icing on the pie ;)

Some people like just the pie

blitzd
July 21st, 2006, 03:39 AM
i think he may be referring to unnecessary extras. its good to have a desktop that looks nice. but transparancy, wobbly windows, and other effects add nothing in the way of usability or attractiveness IMO. all it needs is a good eye for balance and colour by using the right wallpaper, theme, icons, etc.

I wouldn't dismiss aesthetical features as unnecessary extras though... I've seen several people post on how the 3D desktop session switching actually convinced them to make use of those features and become more productive as a result (I'm one of them :))

In the end it is a personal choice/preference though... Some people still prefer the console to X Windows (I'm one of them too in certain instances).

Engnome
July 21st, 2006, 03:46 AM

Eye-candy that make me more effiecent with my computer I don't consider eye-candy at all. When using a computer you have to decide at what level you wan't to be at, do you want to burden the computer or yourself. Of course you wan't to put the burden on the computer, however not using a de and just use terminal (aside from not doing all I wan't) is just time consuming.

About the webrowser, it is the only "can do it all" app I use. (and like, It does after all make my browsing faster) But after reading at some places it seems to be consuming less than it's competitors so I'm quite happy with it. (no names, maybe start a flame war and completely steal this thread.)

But what do you DO with the extra CPU cycles? Are you part of the ubuntu folding team?

And the extra clockcycles I use to fuel all the apps I often have to keep running at the same time. When programming for instance: browser (many tabs) for reference, gedit (many tabs, a good programmer reuses as much code as he can.) glade for designing the ui, music (duh!) and of course bitornado (wich sucks up extreme amounts ram but not as much ram and cpu as azureus, gonna try rtorrent soon(cli based)) So my (not state of the art) laptop is put to good use.

Edit: Do I use an excessive amount of ())()(? I must have been burnt after debugging code for hours only to find that I hadn't put som () at some (not obviuos) places.

Engnome
July 21st, 2006, 04:06 AM
I wouldn't dismiss aesthetical features as unnecessary extras though... I've seen several people post on how the 3D desktop session switching actually convinced them to make use of those features and become more productive as a result (I'm one of them :))

In the end it is a personal choice/preference though... Some people still prefer the console to X Windows (I'm one of them too in certain instances).

I'm waiting for the next revolution in computing. like the microprocessor intel made that pwnd whatever they were using back then. However that design is getting old now, pushed to it's limits. Something new must come, our cpu's look the same as they did 1970 (stone age to me) just smaller. Maybe I'm a little optimistic after reading to many scince mags about quantum computers and some other technology wich I can't remember the name of that in theory can solve a gigantic number of task thrown at it in no time at all.

When this come's I'll be switching on my eye-candy ;)

phunkalicious
July 21st, 2006, 04:26 AM
I'm waiting for the next revolution in computing. like the microprocessor intel made that pwnd whatever they were using back then. However that design is getting old now, pushed to it's limits. Something new must come, our cpu's look the same as they did 1970 (stone age to me) just smaller. Maybe I'm a little optimistic after reading to many scince mags about quantum computers and some other technology wich I can't remember the name of that in theory can solve a gigantic number of task thrown at it in no time at all.

When this come's I'll be switching on my eye-candy

I though that was the whole point of XGL; running your GUI and the X Windows server through the graphics card which isn't doing anything most of the time, thus freeing up CPU cycles. All I know is I love it, because my system is wayyyyyyyy more responsive with XGL on than without it.

K.Mandla
July 21st, 2006, 04:39 AM
I think it's fun, but I don't use it. In general I prefer Xubuntu over Ubuntu, and while it's not impossible to run it under XFCE, I just don't have the hardware requirements it wants.

But that's my decision, and if I had a machine that would run it, and I was willing to use Gnome, I might set it up. It's fun to show Windows fans. They turn green every time. :D

darkpark
July 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM
I like my eye candy but not when it becomes an inconvenience or hinders me from using my computer normally than I'll have to part ways with the eye candy. Speaking of eye candy (and this is slighty off-topic) does someone know how to turn off the window animation? When I minimize (or close) a windows I would like for it to just disappear to the taskbar.

As for cpu-cycles, I don't mind if the eye candy consumes extra cpu cycles so long as (as mentioned above) it doesn't get in the way.

darkpark
July 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
Oops! Nevermind, I found it in gconf-editor. Sorry, I should have used the search function before asking. ;)

vayu
July 21st, 2006, 04:49 PM

How opposite this is of my experience/opinion. The one complaint that I've had of Linux was that it just didn't look and feel good. The way the windows moved was clunky both looking and feeling. It seemed primitive. That was for me the one thing that Linux on the destop lacked over Windows and Macintosh. I could get it to look good on the surface with desktops and themes, but it didn't feel good operationally. Now, with Compiz (and XGL) I have a real desktop. One that moves smoothly. The fonts finally look good. The windows animate. It doesn't take away any performance, it adds it. It is such an improvement. For me XGL/Compiz are one of the best developments in Linux.

roaldz
July 21st, 2006, 09:14 PM
I totally agree with that vayu. I have a (slow) 1100 Tbird, 512 Megs of Ram and a Gforce 2 MX 400. Now that I have XGL, my desktop is soo much faster! I just _LOVE IT_.

djsroknrol
July 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM
I found it quite distracting myself...I took it out and then decided to add gcompmgr and xdesktopwaves for guests to drool over...love the ooohhh and the ahhhh factor...

GarethMB
July 21st, 2006, 10:26 PM
seems like a goofy gimmick, to me.
Yeah but you're the guy who complains about starting X. I bet you consider any GUI app a gimmick ;)