PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu 12 to 14?

roiikkata
January 9th, 2014, 03:05 AM
hi,

what are the upgrade protocols for ubuntu? when 14 comes out will i be able to go from long term release to long term release, upgrade-wise? or will i have to go through 13 to get to 14 .. ?

thanks ..

Iowan
January 9th, 2014, 03:08 AM
You're supposed to be able to upgrade directly from one LTS to the next - I plan to give it a try... :)

roiikkata
January 9th, 2014, 03:11 AM
same here, apparently ..

just wondering cuz i dont want to go to 13 if i can just upgrade to 14 in a couple of months
its meticulous like that ! ):P:popcorn:

Iowan
January 9th, 2014, 03:16 AM
Frequently, it's faster (better?) to do a fresh install than an upgrade, but I'll save that for the "didn't work" case.

deadflowr
January 9th, 2014, 04:40 AM
LTS to LTS is always supported method for an upgrade.
However, my understanding is that because the interim release cycle changed in between the two LTS this time, they are looking at a one time fix to allow the other releases, such as 12.10 to upgrade to 14.04 directly.
Where as normally, the interim releases only upgrade to the next release.
But because of the shift in release's life cycle from 18 to 9 months, the next release after 12.10(the last 18 month life cycle release) is dead.
But, of course, we'll have to see what the final decision on that is.

mastablasta
January 9th, 2014, 08:15 AM
fresh install is faster especially if you have mor eor less vanila Ubuntu, but upgrade is really what i am looking forward to. and i am hoping it will be painless, since i do not use many PPA's.

it seems proprietary drivers can still be an issue on upgrade. i didnt' have it immediatelly after upgrade but later on one of the updates. drivers were simply gone/unusable. luckily i have more than one computer so i managed to solve that by maual removal and then another additional driver's install.

roiikkata
January 9th, 2014, 09:54 PM
got to keep the computer up to date much as you can with the new versions. thats always a big thing with technology.

theres always that point with software updates where its like "ohh, ok, time to upgrade the computer"

if i was using an old computer id keep an older operating system on it. i try to keep the points in time where they were both up and at it the same.

plus this new technology is getting less expensive now that they realized people are starting to figure out that "smaller" chips dont cost as much (you know how people are with those things haha) ..

this new update is going to be awesome! i have windows 7 but im definitely not going to try windows 8 on this one. dual boot. plus steam os is coming out sometime in the near future.

these upgrades are looking good and i hope to be ABLE to directly upgrade from 12 to 14. they may as well just keep all the stuff from 13 that 14 needs for people to upgrade from 12 TO 14 .. i dont think size really matters any more that bandwidth and download speeds seem to be out-dating the size of the ubuntu download size, but, it does keep things rather simple in terms of speed of the os and add-ons and such. ive been keeping an eye on the OMG ubuntu! website for a bit now and its looking like there are alot of releases for all things linux coming out this year. this is going to be awesome, open sourced, free and HANDS ON. . .

ubuntu makes linux easy for people to get in to so id think that upgrades should be a breeze as well. so people can have less time worrying about getting the actual upgrade/update/etc. done and more time worrying about other things like what kind of computer to use. that would be good for the computer makers.

so when a lts update comes out, it should go both ways, long term to long term and short term to long term update-wise

i think they have all this covered though .. and if not, they do now - _ ^ ..