PDA

View Full Version : [lxde] strange characters and vertical misalignment in vim under lxterminal/terminator but x

ljwobker
January 8th, 2014, 09:59 PM
I've got a new ubuntu machine, I'm trying to get LXDE and specifically lxterminal to work for me and can't figure this one out. Any time I open lxterminal (I tried terminator with the same result) I end up with a couple of problems once I add a line to a text file and hit <escape>:

- the bottom row of the terminal scrolls "off the bottom" of the screen (so things like ctrl-G no longer work as they should)
- I get some strange "numbers in a box" characters that pop up in the place of hash tags or other characters.

The easiest way to explain this is with a screen shot... if you look at the bottom terminal it shows the strange box-character and then "1 q" at the end of the comment line that I added.
Note that if I do control-L and force a redraw, everything goes back to normal.

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with the terminal emulation and/or character sets and/or fonts, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what to actually change to make this go away. ;-(

http://i.stack.imgur.com/WmWrL.jpg