PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 12.04 to 13.1 hangs on black screen

rwilliams651
January 8th, 2014, 07:28 PM
I am new to Ubuntu and had installed 12.04 LTS on an ASUS laptop and things were going well. So well, in fact, I decided to upgrade to 13. I did so through terminal and things seemed to go fine. It asked to restart and when I did it said some file, I can't recall which, was missing. Now, when I turn the power off, the computer starts working, goes to the Ubuntu screen with the flashing dots and then enters a black screen with a cursor in the top left that is not blinking; I cannot type or do anything.

I did some digging but I don't have any idea how to get into terminal or how to do anything at this point. I still have 12.04 on a LiveUSB and would be happy to reload that again as I didn't have too much stuff on the computer. At this point, I just want a functioning computer again.

--EDIT--

Terribly sorry for making the post, I fixed it myself after a little common sense. First, I didn't upgrade to 13, but it was to 12.1. Second, I just held the Esc key upon booting and selected my LiveUSB and reinstalled 12.04. I'm curious as to why this happened but I ultimately got the computer up and running again.

Bashing-om
January 10th, 2014, 10:46 PM
rwilliams651; Hi !

What we see here most often that may cause that result is:
a) Proprietary graphics driver not removed prior to "upgrading" to the next version;
b) 3rd party PPAs not removed prior " " ;

What is done outside of ubuntu's jurisdiction, ubuntu can not be held liable for.

However, If it is broke

it's ubuntu, it is fixable !