PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 13.10 takes aim at Microsoft, Apple, Google

Linuxratty
January 6th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Ah, the plot thickens.:popcorn:

Ubuntu is moving into the rarified class of operating systems that cover x86/x64 clients and servers, ARM-based tablets/smartphones, and commodity cloud instances. Meaning that it's taking on everybody from Microsoft to Red Hat to Apple and Google.

http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2014/010614-ubuntu-test-277284.html?page=1

Roasted
January 7th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I hate to sound like a debbie downer, but Canonical has had a really hard time living up to any sort of hype that's built up over the years. I'll believe it when I see it.

grahammechanical
January 7th, 2014, 10:31 PM
I would not say that Canonical is taking on everybody. I do think that Canonical is trying all sorts of ways to make a decent profit without resorting to selling a Ubuntu Enterprise or Professional edition as certain Linux distributors do.

And Ubuntu is leading the pack in some areas. OpenStack is a case in point. Redhat has had to pay dozens of developers to patch OpenStack to make Redhat compatible. That is why Redhat claims that it is the number one contributor to the last two versions of OpenStack. So, it has been playing catch-up for more than a year.

Another area is Canonical's involvement in the Linaro project.

Regards.

Copper Bezel
January 8th, 2014, 06:42 AM
Indeed. It makes a nice headline, and the article is basically a publicity piece, but the implication is a lack of focus. I don't actually think that Ubuntu or Canonical does lack focus, because they are and have always been most interested in targeting low-power computing for the slightly nerdy or socially-conscious, which explains the netbook focus in the late 00s and the forays into tablets now. Students, small businesses, low-end web designers, casual tinkerers, and everyone who can't afford the Apple equivalent. Ubuntu TV and the Edge illustrate the attempts to move outside of that demographic, and they were appropriate if ambitious attempts that failed respectably.