PDA

View Full Version : CES - new nvidia chip with 192 cores aimed at mobile market.

philinux
January 6th, 2014, 06:34 PM
Chip-maker Nvidia has announced a new processor destined for mobile devices that it says will offer better graphics than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25618498

joerallo98
January 7th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Would this even be useful for normal consumers?

Werne
January 7th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Chip-maker Nvidia has announced a new processor destined for mobile devices that it says will offer better graphics than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
Meh, I'll be impressed if it outperforms AMD's Jaguar SoC, otherwise it's just another chip on the table. Beating 8 year old tech that was weaker than high-end PCs of that era (PCs which are now on-par with current low-end machines) is not even remotely impressive.

mastablasta
January 7th, 2014, 11:06 AM
only that 8yo tech wasn't small enough to fit in a pocket PC/phone device let alone use so little enegry it could work effectively on battery. ;-)

RichardLinx
January 8th, 2014, 01:25 PM
only that 8yo tech wasn't small enough to fit in a pocket PC/phone device let alone use so little enegry it could work effectively on battery. ;-)

Yeah, not a point that should be dismissed so easily. It's pretty impressive considering the size and power usage of the device. This is a chip small enough to fit into a USB sized device like the Rikomagic MK802 IV which already runs Ubuntu and is small enough to fit in your pocket, and for a cost of about $80. I remember going to lan parties with a bunch of bulky PC's (and bulky monitors to match) running Quake 3 at 800x600 and thinking this was computer gaming at its finest (And it was at the time...), but man, thinking about how now I'll be able to carry around a device the size of a USB stick and play game significantly more sophisticated than Quake 3... That's nothing to scoff at.

(edit: not to mention all the other potential uses, like a micro server, portable personal computer, etc)

RichardET
January 8th, 2014, 04:22 PM
The question is, how does it perform with Linux? Or is one forced to stick with a Windows based machine, and virtualize Linux?

robson_tech
January 9th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Graphics on the old consoles is not so great. I think it will be even better than on the Play Station 4

Monitoring dla szkół (http://www.teletechnika-system.pl/zastosowania-systemow/monitoring-szkoly/)

RichardLinx
January 9th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Graphics on the old consoles is not so great. I think it will be even better than on the Play Station 4

Monitoring dla szkół (http://www.teletechnika-system.pl/zastosowania-systemow/monitoring-szkoly/)

I don't think you meant to say that you think the Nvidia SoC will perform (look even) better than the PS4... zrobiłeś pomyłka gramatyczny?

mastablasta
January 10th, 2014, 11:19 AM
The question is, how does it perform with Linux? Or is one forced to stick with a Windows based machine, and virtualize Linux?

Probably ment for Android and if it runs there... well it might run well in desktop linux too.