PDA

View Full Version : Why do the beans change color?

djsroknrol
July 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I've never noticed before, but the beans under my screenname are changing color...Is there any reason or significance behind them changing color?

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
They are part of an insipid scheme by the Ubuntu Administration to make you like coffee beans, so that you can buy the Ubuntu brand of coffee, thus boosting share prices, thus boosting their already substantial income... :twisted:

djsroknrol
July 20th, 2006, 07:46 PM
They are part of an insipid scheme by the Ubuntu Administration to make you like coffee beans, so that you can buy the Ubuntu brand of coffee, thus boosting share prices, thus boosting their already substantial income...

Lord Illidan...is that why Ubuntu is free?...lol...

seriously, is there a reason for the color changes? Is it like the captions changing under the avatars maybe?

asimon
July 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Is it like the captions changing under the avatars maybe?
Yes (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=208557).

monkieie
July 20th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Lord Illidan...is that why Ubuntu is free?...lol...

seriously, is there a reason for the color changes? Is it like the captions changing under the avatars maybe?

they appear to be directly linked to the amount of beans that you have collected. This is intentional so that you can still judge users who hide their bean count :p

Not mentioning any names but there are a few of you, aren't there, "cat" ? :lol:

MaximB
July 20th, 2006, 08:00 PM
2 things I didn't get
1. why coffee and beans of coffee....???
2.I saw "burnt beans" a few times - what does that mean ? violation or...?

matthew
July 20th, 2006, 08:02 PM
It's just fun. Some beans are still green and others have been roasted.

Why beans and coffee? The admins like coffee.

Burnt Beans are people who have been banned due to significant forum policy violations.

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
c
2 things I didn't get
1. why coffee and beans of coffee....???
2.I saw "burnt beans" a few times - what does that mean ? violation or...?

coffee seems to be an inside joke within the whole linux community.. Geeks need their caffeine! You will find similar references to coffee even inside magazines.

burnt beans? Simple.. User banned for some violation.:neutral:

monkieie
July 20th, 2006, 08:10 PM
coffee seems to be an inside joke within the whole linux community.. Geeks need their caffeine!

A few of you probably know this one but it's still worth a good laugh at work - providing you work in an office environment. I would NOT advise trying it out on truckers or heavy-weight wrestlers for example [-o<
-->>

Gradually mix the coffee powder / beans at the work machine for decaf, up to the point where you only have decaf on the go. To do this properly it could take a matter of weeks - be discreet!

Once you have weaned everyone off their daily caffeine dosage, switch over to that really heavy mocca mix and lean back and enjoy yourself \\:D/

-Phi-
July 20th, 2006, 08:14 PM
When I made a number of posts from a computer running Win98 my beans changed to "spilled the beans" for a bit. I was amused and wondered if they were related.

- Phi

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
When I made a number of posts from a computer running Win98 my beans changed to "spilled the beans" for a bit. I was amused and wondered if they were related.

Eh, but you don't know about the scheme that the Ubuntu Admin have with the NSA... they can see every packet you send out and from that deduce your OS, and from that figure out what rank you deserve... This could very well be the plot............... of a Dan Brown novel!

fuscia
July 20th, 2006, 08:22 PM
why do fools fall in love?

Biltong (Dee)
July 20th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Gradually mix the coffee powder / beans at the work machine for decaf, up to the point where you only have decaf on the go. To do this properly it could take a matter of weeks - be discreet!

Once you have weaned everyone off their daily caffeine dosage, switch over to that really heavy mocca mix and lean back and enjoy yourself \\:D/

Oh Jeez, we do Internet mail-order. Can you imagine the crazy replies that would go out if someone innocently asked us how much our Zebra skins cost...?

"Well they're $1450 ma'am, and best worn like a toga with a cute tie-up over the one shoulder. If you don't have a long steel pin available tying the ears together should do the trick..."

"Oh, and don't trip over the tail y'hear..." :twisted:

MaximB
July 20th, 2006, 08:23 PM
there is nothing I like more in the morning then sweet cup of coffee and a smoke...just can't start the day without it !

monkieie
July 20th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Oh Jeez, we do Internet mail-order. Can you imagine the crazy replies that would go out if someone innocently asked us how much our Zebra skins cost...?

"Oh, and don't trip over the tail y'hear..." :twisted:

oh man I can just image it - that would be a sight to see 8-[

Skia_42
July 20th, 2006, 09:12 PM
why do fools fall in love?
Because they are human beings, love overides logic in the human brain.