PDA

View Full Version : Grub2 Does not boot ubuntu After Install

FireDemonSiC
January 5th, 2014, 09:41 PM
It's been a few years since I dabbled with anything Linux so please bear with me.

I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 that I am trying to setup to dual boot Win7 and Ubuntu.

I formatted the drive clean of Win8, then installed Win7 Ultimate x64 in UEFI mode. Boots great. So far so good.

I then attempted to install Ubuntu, and it did not recognize windows as being installed. It did however give the "something else" else so I figured I'd install then clean up the breaks later on.

I formatted a 540GB XFS partition and an 8gb swap partition. Install completed successfully. The XFS partition shows up as bootable in the UEFI menu and has over 3GB of used space so I know Ubuntu is there, however it's as if Grub doesn't know where to find it. When you turn the laptop on you are greeted by a command line with a prompt that says "grub>".

I vaguely remember having to define in the grub config file the partition and kernel path in order to boot Linux but for the life of me I can't remember the process.

Really appreciate the help in advance.

The Win7 install boots fine from the UEFI menu btw.

fantab
January 6th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Boot with Live Ubuntu DVD/USB, Download and install 'Boot-Repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair)'....
Run the 'Recommended Repair'... it should fix most of the booting issues. However I am not really sure whether Grub supports XFS or not.

Do note LINK Boot-Repair creates and post the link here.

oldfred
January 6th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Others with unusual partition formats have had issues. Some have just added a /boot with ext4. Some have found a specific grub.cfg in the efi partition's ubuntu folder works.
Often better to have smaller system partition of 20 or 30GB and then a larger /home or data partition.

grub.cfg with this entry and your partition number.
configfile (hd0,gpt8)/boot/grub/grub.cfg