PDA

View Full Version : make vs ant

und3rdog
March 25th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Background: Doing a respectably large program for an OO class based in Java, Working as part of a 3 member team.

Question: Given only one of us has any background on building with ant, which would be better?

defkewl
March 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Isn't ant only for Java? and make for Perl and C/C++ ?

cow_racer
March 25th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Ant is the way to go. It is easier to write. But a little slower. And it also does dependency check. Make only uses time stamp to determine which files to compile. A file changed may affect other classes in some other unchanged files, but because Make only use time stamp, these effected files are not recompiled. I heard Jikes can create dependency for Make to use, but so far I never got that to work. Jikes simply crash on me.

vague-
March 29th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Isn't ant only for Java? and make for Perl and C/C++ ?

No, Ant can have many targets, including building language other than Java. Perl might be a special case due to the MakeMaker magic and such. It is not that you could not use Ant to build a Perl project, it just would not slot in with the default system.

Personally, I would use Ant. The format is fairly easy to learn, it will be supported (if via plug-ins) in most IDEs and Java-aware programmer's text editors and most targets are cross-platform (assuming that your Java application probably is, also).