PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unusual logo error?! And others

ali.m.salheen
January 4th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Hi.

So I've used the windows installer to install ubuntu all my life. However I recently bought a new pc shipped with windows 8 pre-installed, and I heard you cannot use the windows installer with windows 8. My PC is 64 bit and with a 1 TB HDD.

I got stuck at this step in the installation:
http://s2.postimg.org/dh0tsdm21/Screenshot_from_2014_01_04_18_07_58.png

I have no idea which is the windows and ubuntu section. I don't wanna end with a puny 100 GB for windows. Who knows? Maybe I'll be returning back to windows.

Also how does this step affect my HDD? Does it create a new partition? Or sets a limit for itself on the drive? And finally, what drive is selected? I have a C:/ drive and a D:/ drive.

I need help ASAP

A lot of thanks,

Ali

deadflowr
January 4th, 2014, 07:29 PM
I think the 307Gb is where Ubuntu is going to be installed.
The other space is what the installer believes is safe to add to the Ubuntu installation, if you want.
However, the install is only showing you 540GB of space, so I would assume that the other 460?GB of space is locked away safely for the Windows installation.
If you click on the advanced partition tool link in the middle of the screen and post a screenshot of what that looks like, we might get a better understanding of what going on. It says there are 10 hidden partitions, so I guess those might be the windows partitions.
Use "back" to get back to the first screen from the advanced partitioning tool screen.

Bucky Ball
January 4th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.