PDA

View Full Version : Apple Is The Blue Pill, Ubuntu Is The Red Pill!

iwonderwhy5
January 4th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Hi guys,i wrote this article titled "Apple Is The Blue Pill, Ubuntu Is The Red Pill!"

And figured i'd post it here so that you guys can enjoy it aswell

So. You think you've escaped. You think you've found the truth. You won't do what they tell you; you won't use Windows. Apple finally gave you the freedom you need to take full advantage of your tech systems.

News-flash: You're still in the Matrix. But don't worry. We can get you out. I've got two pills here. Choose. If you take the blue pill, you can keep using Apple, think that it's normal, and go about living your life. If you take the red pill, you can discover Ubuntu; you can find out what tech freedom really is.

You can read the rest of the article here: http://puffingdev.com/apple-is-the-blue-pill-ubuntu-is-the-red-pill/

I will be writing more Ubuntu related articles in the future. Trying to convert as many people as i can :)

Thx for reading and please give me some feedback.

Greetings from Belgium.

Linuxratty
January 4th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Greetings!
I'm sure you have seen this:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/3722767/the-matrix-runs-on-windows

iwonderwhy5
January 4th, 2014, 07:57 PM
Greetings!

Hi i actually hadn't, but i'm adding it to the bottom of the article now :) thx

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
January 5th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Greetings!

well that was amusing

aysiu
January 6th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Well, unlike The Matrix, computing life gives you the option to take as many pills as you want. I use Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, ChromeOS, iOS, and Android on a regular basis. No problems here.

iwonderwhy5
January 13th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Well, unlike The Matrix, computing life gives you the option to take as many pills as you want. I use Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, ChromeOS, iOS, and Android on a regular basis. No problems here.

True, it just amazes me, how many people don't realise they HAVE this choice, and then there are then ones that think they have actually made their own choice, when marketing has actually made it for them ?...

Also, if you dont mind me asking, why do you use mac ? is it because you also do audiovisual work, or something else?

aysiu
January 13th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Also, if you dont mind me asking, why do you use mac ? is it because you also do audiovisual work, or something else? No, nothing special on the audio/visual front. I just like the MacBook Pro. I think it's a pretty slick laptop, and I have not seen a non-Mac laptop that has offered me a similar total user experience (I'd love it if Shuttleworth started issuing some decent hardware with full software-hardware integration for Ubuntu (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/ubuntu-the-open-source-apple-challenger/)). I can't go a full in-depth here, but a few highlights: MagSafe charger is great, because I'm a clutz and offer trip over cords and have broken many other laptop and netbook chargers.
Goes to sleep instantly. Wakes up instantly, even if you accidentally close the lid right after opening it.
Easy to open the lid with one hand.
Sound from speakers isn't tinny.
I can USB charge even when the laptop is sleeping. These things matter to me. I don't want to get into a stupid debate with people about their own preferences. If other people reading this thread think "I'm not a clutz. I don't need a MagSafe charger," well, good for them. I highly prefer to have that kind of charger. I've been using all kinds of computers for decades now. I have good reasons for picking what I've picked.

1clue
January 13th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Um...

No matter which way you go in your scenario, you still get an operating system built and configured by a commercial entity with for-profit motive.

Maybe you should choose LFS?

Frankly I'm with aysiu. I use several platforms through choice and/or requirement.

It baffles me that so many Linux users seem to think you can only have one distro, or one operating system vendor, or one of anything.

It baffles me even more when they get so rabid about it. It's not a contest with only one winner. It's a choice. Choose the right tool for the job. Different job, possibly different tool. Oddly enough, the different tools seem to interact fairly well together, it's just the users who have the problems.

As a physical analogy, I have a toolbox. It has a drawer for screwdrivers (lots of different sizes, shapes, tips etc.) and a drawer for crescent wrenches, and a drawer for sockets and so on. Why would I want only one tool? And for that matter, I have more than one toolbox.

Don_Stahl
January 13th, 2014, 10:25 PM
I'm with aysiu as well -- I like Mac OK, and I run Windows sometimes. Android goes fast on an underpowered ASUS with 2 GB RAM and a Celeron processor! And yes, my main OS is Ubuntu.

Copper Bezel
January 13th, 2014, 11:18 PM
I can USB charge even when the laptop is sleeping.

I miss this so much. My Eee S101 did it, but my VivoBook doesn't. Makes me sad.

cessanfrancisco
January 14th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Yes, people have choices as to which OS they use but most consumers don't care. They just want to buy a computer--not spend a lot of money--and use it to shop, watch Netflix, and check emails. That's it. So most people will just end up with Windows, not because they are choosing Windows per se, rather they simply have other priorities than fussing with a computer, and by default that's what they'll get.

aysiu
January 15th, 2014, 12:34 AM
Yes, people have choices as to which OS they use but most consumers don't care. They just want to buy a computer--not spend a lot of money--and use it to shop, watch Netflix, and check emails. That's it. So most people will just end up with Windows, not because they are choosing Windows per se, rather they simply have other priorities than fussing with a computer, and by default that's what they'll get. For online shopping, Netflix, and email without "fussing," I'd actually recommend a Chromebook over a Windows computer.