PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] how to install kubuntu on uefi/bios laptop

kuba776655
January 3rd, 2014, 07:24 PM
Hi all I want to install kubuntu, but I don't know how to handle it. I'm totally new at linux. I am worried about UEFI, some time ago I tried to install arch alone and it was fail. My hdd has 500 GB (25 GB free for linux), is there any option to resize another partitions without formatting? In my BIOS (bios or uefi?) it is written I have: UEFI - BIOS, but my computers starts with legacy boot (I dont get what exacly is UEFI nor UEFI boot) My current system win8 v.8.0 x64. How to install kubuntu step by step keeping my windows where it is?

bertan2
January 3rd, 2014, 07:33 PM
UEFI is just the new replacement for the traditional BIOS.

In your UEFI/BIOS, turn Secure Boot off and select Legacy rather than UEFI mode.

25GB is fine for Kubuntu. If you want to practice without affecting your real computer, download and install VirtualBox and practice the install process there. At a certain point, it should give you a choice to install your new operating system alongside any existing operating system.

kuba776655
January 3rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
I already have linux on virtual machine, but if I have to do anything what is not clear for me on linux, I just change window to go back to windows :P I think I will be to lazy to restart computer for small problems if I will be loged on linux.