main()
{
cout << "Hello World!";
return 0;
}

and I get this error:

Compiling: main.cpp
s: 1: s: Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string
Process terminated with status 2 (0 minutes, 0 seconds)
0 errors, 0 warnings

I am not sure why. Is it realy a Syntax error? If it is a syntax error could you give me a simple "Hello World" code to test my Code::Blocks program?=P~

Thanks ubuntu people for the increadible ubuntu OS!!!:KS

Bucky Ball
January 3rd, 2014, 03:29 PM
Thread moved to Programming Talk.

leg
January 3rd, 2014, 03:33 PM
http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/127023/why-is-include-iostream-h-bad

Has this:

The header iostream.h is a non-standard header and does not exist on all platforms. As a matter of fact it does not exist on my system (using g++ and the GNU libstdc++). So any code using it would simply not compile on my system.

The iostream.h header used to be common before C++ was first standardized in 1998. But since the 98 standard used <iostream> instead of <iostream.h>, the latter has fallen out of favor (being non-standard and all) and is no longer supported on all platforms. Code that uses it should be considered non-standard legacy code and is not portable. Books that teach it should be considered outdated and avoided.

So I suspect the compiler does not recognise the iostream as a header file and thinks it must be a unquoted string.

spjackson
January 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
A correct version of your code would be for example:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Hello World!\n";
return 0;
}

However, your error isn't coming from your code. "Syntax error: Unterminated quoted string" isn't coming from the compiler, it is coming from the shell. i.e. there is something wrong with your settings in Code::Blocks such that no code will compile. Check the configuration of your Code::Blocks project.

jjclonker
January 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Sory Bucky Ball I am very new to the tread and did not know where to post it. :oops:

Bucky Ball
January 3rd, 2014, 03:55 PM
Sory Bucky Ball I am very new to the tread and did not know where to post it. :oops:

All good. Thought you might have more success here and looks like I was right. Good luck. ;)

jjclonker
January 3rd, 2014, 04:00 PM
spjackson how would I check Code::Blocks project configuration? Sory I am very new to progaming and the programs for programing. :)

jjclonker
January 3rd, 2014, 04:07 PM
Thanks Bucky Ball!!!:KS You guys are the best!!!

spjackson
January 3rd, 2014, 05:11 PM
spjackson how would I check Code::Blocks project configuration? Sory I am very new to progaming and the programs for programing. :)
I can't help much on that I'm afraid; I don't use Code::Blocks. However, if you look in the manual http://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html , see section 1.11.6. There could be unterminated strings in the search paths or something. A google hit http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,8682.0.html shows a similar problem when the project path contains an apostrophe.

It is often stated in this forum that it is not a good idea for beginners to use an IDE because the IDE gets in the way and you can't see what's going on. I agree with this sentiment. Perhaps a Code::Blocks user might be able to help you some more.

jjclonker
January 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
YES!!!! spjackson your second link told me what the problem was.

Never ever use apostophy's or spaces (or other symbols I am guessing) for the name of any directory that you want to build (or run).

Solved!!! :guitar::popcorn::KS