PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu: 'Gave up waiting for root device'

burappinoitoko
January 3rd, 2014, 02:14 PM
Hello.

I'm a new Linux user and have an old Acer Apsire PC with Windows 7 with a Celeron processor that is too slow to really be useful. I decided to try Lubuntu on it, and when I run it off of the live disc, everything is flying.

When I intalled Lubuntu however, I get the following error message when I try to boot:

Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/disk/by-uuid/ed664156-5e45-4c1e-ae16-d03be8009faa does not exist.
Dropping to a shell!

Any idea what I can do? I checked the disc for defects, and found nothing wrong, and it works great when running it from a live CD. I tried using bootloader, but couldn't get i to work.

The version I'm trying to install is 13.10.

ubfan1
January 3rd, 2014, 11:52 PM
When running the live session, run sudo blkid and see if the uuid is correct on the root (/) filesystem (it probably is). If that's OK, then take a look at the <wherever the hard disk is mounted in the live session>/boot/grub/grub.cfg file, and see what devices are used for things like set root = (hd0,msdos?) That should be hd0 for the hard disk with no other usb disks inserted, if it's hd1 (or anything else), edit them back to hd0. Any explicit devices like /dev/sdb? should also be changed to /dev/sda? then try to boot again off the hard disk. at the first successful boot, run sudo update-grub just to make sure everything is fixed permanently. You could try the rootdelay=10, but I've never actually had to use that. Sorry I forget where the hard disk gets mounted, in the live session. Maybe you have to mount it yourself at /mnt.

Quackers
January 4th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Does the system boot if you leave that display for a few moments and then press enter?
It could be that your hard drive is not spinning up fast enough for the system. Adding the boot argument rootdelay=30 might help.