PDA

View Full Version : Best text-typing function in Python

blackout2
January 2nd, 2014, 09:12 PM
What, in your opinion is the best way to make text look like it's being typed?
I know you all will have different ways about doing it, and I'm curious about what makes each solution different. So, please post your best way to print text as if it was being typed, in Python.

Have a good day!

blackout2
January 2nd, 2014, 10:10 PM
I've tried doing this:

import time
text = "Hello"
def type_text(text):
list(text)
for b in text:
print b,
time.sleep(0.2)

type_text(text)

But it waits for 0.2 seconds, then prints out the whole word.
Weird...

ofnuts
January 2nd, 2014, 10:18 PM
This is due to line-buffering on stdout when it goes to a terminal. No I/O happens until your write a newline character. You have to flush the stream after each character, or find how to make it non-buffered.

blackout2
January 2nd, 2014, 10:37 PM
Ah, that makes sense, thanks!

blackout2
January 2nd, 2014, 10:49 PM
My version of the function:

def type_text(text):
list(text)
for a in text:
sys.stdout.write(a)
sys.stdout.flush()
time.sleep(0.1)

Vaphell
January 3rd, 2014, 12:39 AM
for bonus points add typewriter sounds ;-)

blackout2
January 3rd, 2014, 04:54 AM
I did, but it got annoying when I was debugging other parts of the program so I removed it.

import pygame
import sys
import time
pygame.mixer.init()
pygame.mixer.music.load('/root/Python/audio.wav')

def type_text(text):
list(text)
for a in text:
sys.stdout.write(a)
pygame.mixer.music.play()
sys.stdout.flush()
time.sleep(0.05)

type_text("Hello")

There ya go!

Vaphell
January 3rd, 2014, 05:03 PM
but where is the 'ching' at newline? ;-)

Yes, such things surely get annoying, even printing char by char gets old after a while when you debug stuff for the hundredth time.
You should have such fluff&bling things that add non-negligible delay and/or noise parametrized (program param or constant) so when you debug you can choose to go through the path that shortcircuits things

debug=True

def type_text( text, debug ):
if debug:
print text
else:
<fluff>

blackout2
January 3rd, 2014, 05:13 PM

Yes, such things surely get annoying, even printing char by char gets old after a while when you debug stuff for the hundredth time.
You should have such fluff&bling things that add non-negligible delay and/or noise parametrized (program param or constant) so when you debug you can choose to go through the path that shortcircuits things

debug=True

def type_text( text, debug ):
if debug:
print text
else:
<fluff>
Good idea!

ofnuts
January 3rd, 2014, 09:51 PM

A very long time ago, I wrote a PC-DOS keyboard driver and debugged it by ear by adding beeps in strategic places in the code :) The code path for alphabetic letters would play the Indiana Jones theme (yes, that long time ago).

blackout2
January 3rd, 2014, 10:04 PM
A very long time ago, I wrote a PC-DOS keyboard driver and debugged it by ear by adding beeps in strategic places in the code :) The code path for alphabetic letters would play the Indiana Jones theme (yes, that long time ago).

That's awesome, I hope someday I'll be good enough at programming in general to make drivers...whew.
That must have sounded so cool when you finally got your code to work!

ofnuts
January 4th, 2014, 02:16 AM
Well, then I removed the beeps :)