PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] 12.10 x64 Install Woes

treeant342
January 2nd, 2014, 01:25 AM
Howdy:

I need to preface this by saying that I love Lubuntu...

Every machine I own (and most I have built for others include Lubuntu as a dual boot)...

My mobo died a week ago and I had to use an old Asus M2N-E as a temporary replacement...

This board would not install Win 7 from USB, I had to use a DVD (bloody weird)...

After install, I took a clonezilla image and proceeded to dual boot Lubuntu 12.10 x64 (from a live USB)...

The install seemed really slow and after a while it would "hang" right after the "choose your location" bit...

I wiped the partition and tried again from a 12.10 x64 live CD...

The install seemed really slow and after a while it would "hang" right after the "choose your location" bit...

I tried a 12.10 x64 alternate CD and the install completed in record time...

When it asked where to put grub, I told it to install on the Lubuntu partition (sda2 in this case), it installed grub and rebooted...

At this point I usually reboot into Windows, install Easy BCD and I'm off to the races, only this time I was confronted with the Grub manager...

I realized immediately that somehow the installer had goofed and put Grub in sda1 overwriting my MBR...

I could have sworn I told it to install grub in sda2 but figured I screwed up, so I went into windows 7, deleted the partition Lubuntu was on, fixed the MBR, and repartitioned again for the Lubuntu install number two...

I used the 12.10 x64 alternate CD again, and the install was again very speedy...

When it asked where to put grub, I told it to install on the Lubuntu partition (sda2 making sure it said sda2), it installed grub and rebooted...

Where I once again was confronted with the Grub manager...WTF...

Anyone got any ideas how I can get this damn installer to put Grub on sda2?

I said screw it for now and reimaged with clonezilla...

This is such a weird install (all the way around)...

Usually when I use the Lubuntu Desktop Live CD, I just tell the GUI installer to put Grub on the Lubuntu partition and it's a done deal...

BTW the CPU is an AMD BE-2350 with 8Gb of 800MHz RAM...

Uber confused...

Cheers

N