PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Resume after suspend 13.10

devine.steve
January 1st, 2014, 06:10 PM
Samsung Laptop When I close the lid it goes to suspend real nice.
When I open the lid it does not resume. It will resume when I push the power button, but I'd really like it to resume when the lid opens. It worked that way with Win 8.1

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device S-state Status Sysfs node
P0P1 S4 *disabled
USB1 S3 *disabled
USB2 S3 *disabled
USB3 S3 *disabled
USB4 S3 *disabled
USB5 S3 *disabled
USB6 S3 *disabled
USB7 S3 *disabled
RP01 S4 *enabled pci:0000:00:1c.0
RP04 S4 *enabled pci:0000:00:1c.3
PEG0 S4 *disabled
PEGP S4 *disabled
PEG1 S4 *disabled
PEG2 S4 *disabled
PEG3 S4 *disabled
PWRB S5 *enabled

I think PWRB is the Power button. I tried this
echo LID0 >/proc/acpi/wakeup

But no joy.
I tried looking for the list of what the variiables stand for but nothing real helpful.

Toz
January 1st, 2014, 07:29 PM
My laptop wakes on lid open and I don't have a lid entry in /proc/acpi/wakeup either. I do have a setting in my bios to resume on lid open and that seems to work. I believe that in my case this is handled by the bios.

Is there a setting in your bios to control LID behaviour?

devine.steve
January 2nd, 2014, 12:13 AM
Nope -- nothing specific in the BIOS.

jjmarc
January 2nd, 2014, 01:54 AM
Try searching around in your system settings. I believe somewhere there is a submenu where you can select the action that happens when you open/close the lid.

raphael-platte
January 2nd, 2014, 02:16 AM
I think it's under "Brightness and Lock"

devine.steve
January 2nd, 2014, 03:24 AM
No nothing under Brightness and Lock. I did find some settings under Power that reference what to do when the lid is closed, but not what to do when the lid is opened.

Toz
January 2nd, 2014, 01:51 PM
Consider that when your laptop is asleep, userspace is unavailable. Therefore, there is nothing that you can do/configure in userspace to get your system to resume based on an action like lid open because userspace is not "listening". Acpi allows for some triggers/hooks to return your system from suspended states and these are defined in /proc/acpi/wakeup (you can also use rtc to wake up systems, but this is basically via a time-based trigger, not an action-based one like you are looking for). Unfortunately, in your case the LID event is not made available as a action to return your system from suspend. There are a few things you can try:

1. Look to see if there is a setting in the bios that manages lid actions (this you have already checked)
2. Ensure that your lid is being properly recognized. Run this command in a terminal:

dmesg | grep -i lid
...and see what it says.
3. Look to see if there is a bios update for your system. Maybe this functionality is added later.
4. Create a bug report to see if a developer will add this functionality to acpi for your model of laptop. It will probably involve the creation of some sort of model-specific quirk.

I tried looking for the list of what the variiables stand for but nothing real helpful.
The USB devices are usb devices connected to your system - it appears that none currently are.
The RP0 devices are linked to PCI devices - to find out which ones they are, run "lspci" and match the sysfs node values.
PWRB is your power button, and as you can see, it is enabled.
The PEG devices I believe are related to your video card (not sure).

One other thing that you can try, and I'm not sure of the mileage you'll get out of this, is to try different acpi kernel parameters. In some cases, for some laptops, different sets of acpi tables are loaded when different sets of acpi parameters are specified. What is the model # of your Samsung? You can try:
- acpi_osi=
- acpi_osi=Linux
- acpi_osi=\"!Windows 2012\"
...and after each attempt, check the contents of /proc/acpi/wakeup to see if the LID is recognized. Follow the "Temporarily Add a Kernel Boot Parameter for Testing" instructions from the Kernel Boot Parameters (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/KernelBootParameters) Wiki to test them.

devine.steve
January 3rd, 2014, 02:47 AM
Heres the results of "dmesg | grep -i lid"

[ 0.914673] input: Lid Switch as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input0
[ 0.914684] ACPI: Lid Switch [LID0]

Am going to try the Kernel parameter switches next

devine.steve
January 3rd, 2014, 03:28 AM
No luck with the Kernel switches. Whats odd is that this was working with Windows 8.1

Toz
January 3rd, 2014, 04:25 AM
No luck with the Kernel switches. Whats odd is that this was working with Windows 8.1
In that case, can you try acpi_osi="!Windows 2012" again. When you boot with it, post back:

cat /proc/cmdline
...and

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup

The way you format the "!Windows 2012" string differs based on how you are testing the parameter (temporary vs permanent). Try it temporarily like this:

acpi_osi="!Windows 2012"

devine.steve
January 4th, 2014, 02:21 AM
cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-3.11.0-14-generic.efi.signed root=UUID=d296139c-d92a-443e-b565-b0ab89bead68 ro "acpi_osi=!Windows 2012" vt.handoff=7

cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device S-state Status Sysfs node
P0P1 S4 *disabled
USB1 S3 *disabled
USB2 S3 *disabled
USB3 S3 *disabled
USB4 S3 *disabled
USB5 S3 *disabled
USB6 S3 *disabled
USB7 S3 *disabled
RP01 S4 *disabled pci:0000:00:1c.0
RP04 S4 *disabled pci:0000:00:1c.3
PEG0 S4 *disabled
PEGP S4 *disabled
PEG1 S4 *disabled
PEG2 S4 *disabled
PEG3 S4 *disabled
EHC1 S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:1d.0
EHC2 S3 *enabled pci:0000:00:1a.0
XHC S4 *enabled pci:0000:00:14.0
PWRB S5 *enabled

Whats odd (to me) when you look at /proc/cmdline the part with
"acpi_osi=!Windows 2012"
has the first quote in front of acpi_osi even though I double checked my work and I did it as you suggested.

Toz
January 4th, 2014, 03:42 AM
No, that's correct. I don't know exactly why its parsed like that. However, that didn't change the list of wakeup devices for you. Sorry. It was a long shot.

devine.steve
January 4th, 2014, 02:34 PM
So am to understand that the file /proc/acpi/wakeup is created dynamically by the kernel on bootup? IE - adding the LID or LID0 entry to /proc/acpi/wakeup is not possible. I am going to go into the bios and see if there is an option to set it back to 'default'

devine.steve
January 4th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Found the "return to default' switch in the bios and activated it. No change.