PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SDHC Install - Class 10 what else to look for?

cas0586
January 1st, 2014, 04:40 AM
I own a Samsung Chromebook and currently have ubuntu installed on the internal drive. I would prefer to run ubuntu from a larger SDHC drive to dual boot a bit 'easier' on the Chromebook as well as some extra storage space. As it only has 16gb internal I think this would optimal.

I installed ubuntu to a spare 32gb sdhc card I had on hand. It is a PNY 32gb but only a Class 4. It works perfectly it is just pretty slow. I would like to upgrade to a Class 10 sdhc card. I am looking at the Sandisk product line. Either the 32gb ultra or extreme sdhc.

My question is would there be any real advantage of using the extreme over the ultra in this application? Both versions are Class 10 UHS-1. Or should I really be looking into the Extreme Plus or Extreme Pro line?! I am open to other suggestions as well brand/model wise.

Would I be better off using a USB 2.0 flash drive(low profile)? I don't think the 3.0 port is bootable.

Thank you very much for your input!

-Sall

sudodus
January 1st, 2014, 03:57 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

Some years ago I booted a computer from a flash card. It worked but was slow. I have newer cards in my video camera, but I have not tried to boot any computer from them. I can only say

1. Wait for a reply from someone who knows, or

2. get a fast card and try. If it does not boot, it is useful for other purposes anyway. Maybe it would work with chainloading :-P

You can try with USB pendrives or even USB SSD or HDD devices. A USB 3 pendrive is faster also in a USB 2 port, because it has faster flash hardware, and the flash is often limiting the speed to lower values than what is possible with the USB 2 system. I have only one computer (a Toshiba laptop) with USB 3, and it is bootable from USB 3 as well as from USB 2.

I think the following links are relevant also for flash cards

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
Howto help USB boot drives (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2196858)