PDA

View Full Version : Installing 64-bit ubuntu from 32-bit liveCD?

nate4
December 31st, 2013, 06:02 PM
I'm in a slightly weird situation where I have a 64-bit computer (macmini2,1 with 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo processor), that has trouble booting from some 64-bit CDs (this is apparently a known problem, and along with affecting Ubuntu 64-bit, it also affects Windows 7 64-bit.)

There are apparently some work-arounds out there for getting Windows 7 64-bit installed, and I know I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.5 (64-bit), but when trying to boot from the Ubuntu 64-bit CD, I get an error saying "Select CD-ROM boot type", and I can't actually select anything, because the keyboard doesn't work.

I CAN get the Ubuntu 32-bit live CD to load just fine. From what I've read on the problem, it seems to only be caused by booting from CD, so it got me wondering, is there a way to install the 64-bit version of Ubuntu from the 32-bit live CD.

Any help provided is much appreciated.

grahammechanical
December 31st, 2013, 06:17 PM
Simple answer? No! Sorry but the 32 bit install image does not have the 64 bit libraries on it or any option to select either a 32 bit or a 64 bit install of Ubuntu. Can you not try a USB memory stick?

Regards.

nate4
December 31st, 2013, 06:22 PM
I've been poking at the USB stick, but the USB stick I have available is a bit flaky, and won't stay mounted for more than a couple of minutes at a time.