PDA

View Full Version : New commercial

stoffe
July 20th, 2006, 04:22 PM
My friend made this one. :)

Brunellus
July 20th, 2006, 04:23 PM
My friend made this one. :)
Great. "boring, but establishment" versus "hipper than thou" versus "bearded nutcase."

I think we lose.

monkieie
July 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM
well I've not got a full beard (goatee) but some people do class me as being a nutcase :twisted:

Brunellus
July 20th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Marketing efforts directed at people who are already aware of GNU are wasted.

monkieie
July 20th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Marketing efforts directed at people who are already aware of GNU are wasted.

In my experience the marketing people often live in a world of their own anyway - regardless of country or origin.

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Bad one...

How many people want to see their OS as a hippy big fat bearded guy?? Ok, apologies to RMS?

RAV TUX
July 20th, 2006, 05:23 PM
bad ad for Apple, interesting about how they left Linux out of the picture. They didn't want to give us free advertising.

I see this more directed at GNU Hurd or specifically "GNU General Public License", then Linux Distros.

Now a ad run by Ubuntu comparing in a similar way to Apple may have the success that Pepsi had by comparing themselves to Coca-Cola.

A Ubuntu/Apple taste test

or even a Ubuntu/Windows taste test

or both.

monkieie
July 20th, 2006, 05:27 PM
to be perfectly honest I don't think that I get the message that they are sending out. :confused:

It might be interesting to know what slogan they used with the advert, to know which tack they are taking...

Engnome
July 20th, 2006, 06:32 PM
bad ad for Apple, interesting about how they left Linux out of the picture. They didn't want to give us free advertising.

Well this is a comparison Mac vs PC, not Windows vs MAC OSX although they are the same for most people.

If it were a comparison between OS + hardware though the PC bunch would be represented by MANY very different people while Mac + OSX would be the same white/shiny I'm hipper than thou dude many times over and over again.

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 06:46 PM
The Mac advert stated that basically, macs are cooler than Windows... ok, so we already knew that!

If there was a real life mac/ubuntu taste test, mac would probably win hands down... we still have a lot to go before we can match Mac OS X, although in some areas we are pulling ahead.

monkieie
July 20th, 2006, 06:49 PM
we still have a lot to go before we can match Mac OS X, although in some areas we are pulling ahead.

such as?

Iandefor
July 20th, 2006, 07:00 PM
lol!

Good one.

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 07:01 PM
such as?

We are pulling ahead where it comes to XGL, for example. System performance and flexibility are miles ahead in Linux too.

However, we still have a lot to go before we can reach the shininess and polishedness of Mac OSX. There still exists an ugly disrepancy between Gnome apps and KDE apps, for example. And we could work harder to make apps share data between them.

But I have confidence that we will improve.

monkieie
July 20th, 2006, 07:14 PM
However, we still have a lot to go before we can reach the shininess and polishedness of Mac OSX.

this doesn't bother me in the least. I'd rather not have the Mac and save my hard-earned cash.

There still exists an ugly disrepancy between Gnome apps and KDE apps, for example.

To be perfectly frank with you, I don't think that they're that bad.

And we could work harder to make apps share data between them.

point taken

:cool:

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 07:22 PM
this doesn't bother me in the least. I'd rather not have the Mac and save my hard-earned cash.

This doesn't really bother me, either. It may bother new users, though, who are searching an alternative OS, and for whom money is not a problem.

To be perfectly frank with you, I don't think that they're that bad.

Oh yeah? Try using Amarok under Gnome? Or Synaptic under KDE? It looks totally different! It is not mission critical, but appearances make all the difference to new users.

monkieie
July 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Oh yeah? Try using Amarok under Gnome? Or Synaptic under KDE? It looks totally different! It is not mission critical, but appearances make all the difference to new users.

ok fair enough. You've just disclosed my (as yet) lack of experience. Can't say that I've yet tried having both desktops running :-D

djsroknrol
July 20th, 2006, 07:27 PM
LOL...too funny...=D>

UbuntuniX
July 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Are you advertising Mac or Linux? lol

It made me rofl,
but I'd say don't go for it unless you're advertising mac ;)

Lord Illidan
July 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM
ok fair enough. You've just disclosed my (as yet) lack of experience. Can't say that I've yet tried having both desktops running :-D

:mrgreen:

BWF89
July 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM
@Stoffe: Your friend has a good sense of humor

stoffe
July 20th, 2006, 09:25 PM
A bit interesting that the thread got to page two before the first people who saw it for the joke it is. A bit sad, too. When I got into Linux not that many years ago, just about everyone made that kind of jokes, making fun of themselves and the things that interested them. Good times! :)

I laughed right out when I saw it - though I am also happy about what that crazy bearded guy has accomplished and don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging all the great stuff he has done for *us*. I'll take RMS any day over someone who dismisses him just because of how he looks. "Human beings", you know? Not "fits in with the crowd".

El Guapo
July 21st, 2006, 12:02 AM
That is hilarious. Too true. You gotta be a geek to really appreciate it.

darkhatter
July 21st, 2006, 12:40 AM
We are pulling ahead where it comes to XGL, for example. System performance and flexibility are miles ahead in Linux too.

However, we still have a lot to go before we can reach the shininess and polishedness of Mac OSX. There still exists an ugly disrepancy between Gnome apps and KDE apps, for example. And we could work harder to make apps share data between them.

Kde is working on fixing that in version 4 (I think) and gnome doesn't give a rats.....

That was a great ad I hope your friend makes a video :mrgreen:

nalmeth
July 21st, 2006, 01:40 AM

I used to use Amarok in Gnome until listen and exaile came around. I saw nothing wrong, just got to theme it to match your gtk theme.

Also, if you're using KDE, you can have GTK apps maintain their own style, so Synaptic doesn't HAVE to have that drab default theme.

I think things could be much worse, as poor as they are in some areas.
Like having all the extra libraries loaded - unless you have a fast PC, it really bogs things down.

erikpiper
July 21st, 2006, 02:01 AM

I dunno- Look at this- sure the menu highlights blue, but still! I didnt try to get it to match my GTK, and that is Amarok Default....

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7356/screenshot1ex7.png

BWF89
July 21st, 2006, 02:30 AM
A bit interesting that the thread got to page two before the first people who saw it for the joke it is. A bit sad, too.
I was a bit shocked about that too. Although statistically, Linux users are probably a few times more likely to dress up in costumes and play Dungeons and Dragons in their parents basement.

Iandefor
July 21st, 2006, 03:12 AM
A bit interesting that the thread got to page two before the first people who saw it for the joke it is. A bit sad, too. When I got into Linux not that many years ago, just about everyone made that kind of jokes, making fun of themselves and the things that interested them. Good times! :)

I laughed right out when I saw it - though I am also happy about what that crazy bearded guy has accomplished and don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging all the great stuff he has done for *us*. I'll take RMS any day over someone who dismisses him just because of how he looks. "Human beings", you know? Not "fits in with the crowd".I was a little surprised, as well, to see that the joke had completely sailed over some people's heads, and they instead took it as a poorly-designed marketing ploy.

papangul
July 21st, 2006, 03:26 AM
I think the mac user should be none other than Pamela Anderson, the "hipper than thou" kid just uses a windows/linux dual boot system.

YourSurrogateGod
July 21st, 2006, 04:27 AM
All hail the bearded GNU overlord!!!

PenguinMan
August 16th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Before Linux can ever catch up to Mac OS X, it is going to have to develop some sort of unified graphical user inferface (GUI) rules. GUIs in Linux leave a lot to be desired IMO.

23meg
August 16th, 2006, 04:06 AM
I laughed right out when I saw it - though I am also happy about what that crazy bearded guy has accomplished and don't think there is anything wrong with acknowledging all the great stuff he has done for *us*. I'll take RMS any day over someone who dismisses him just because of how he looks. "Human beings", you know? Not "fits in with the crowd".
Well said; especially the part in bold is important to me. In many discussions I feel a need to to emphasize that even if we don't agree at all with the views of Stallman, the FSF and the GNU project, we have to acknowledge their great role in the present state of FOSS.

bobbybobington
August 16th, 2006, 04:41 AM
ROFL oh.. that made my day :D