PDA

View Full Version : How to make gnome's nautilus/file usuable again?

aceprry
December 30th, 2013, 09:40 PM
I've upgraded to 13.10 on a few machines and ran into the problem of Gnome's file manager's (nautilus?) declining usuability. It was pretty nice a couple of versions ago, around ubuntu 12.10. But now, I can't adjust the width of the columns so I can see the full name of a file or folder. Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to finally move to a different file manager.

I'm tired of this ******** that the gnome people are doing. Seems like all of the changes are making their software less useable or more difficult to use. I'm probably going to linux mint when the next release of ubuntu comes out. Even though I've used Ubuntu or variants for the longest time, the unity shell really sucks.

mc4man
December 31st, 2013, 12:18 AM
columns adjust here by clicking on separator with mouse & shifting to the left or right

aceprry
December 31st, 2013, 06:00 AM
That's how it worked in 13.04, but not on 13.10 which is why I'm getting fed up. It will adjust to a certain point, but then that leaves a lot of names incomplete/covered. The way I've been able to see the full name is to use fire up the terminal to look at it, or to click on the item and open up the properties to see the whole name. This is really lame.

cincibluer6
December 31st, 2013, 10:53 PM
Honestly, just install nemo. It's supported and much like the old Nautilus was.
I still use Nautilus myself but I agree that with 3.10 they may have taken it a bit far.

sammiev
January 1st, 2014, 12:15 AM
Honestly, just install nemo. It's supported and much like the old Nautilus was.
I still use Nautilus myself but I agree that with 3.10 they may have taken it a bit far.

I wish they would only work on one gnome version instead of 3.08 and 3.10. If one Linux flavor doesn't want to use, so be it. Sorry about there luck.